Trasimission problem please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cain8

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I found a np205 on craigs list for a 350 for $125, is that a good deal or should I offer much less, and will that one bolt right up? Sorry for asking so many question I'm just not very familiar with transmissions and tcases! But I really appreciate all the help so far!!!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Like HRPC said, if your truck has a 700R4 transmission, an NP205 would NOT be your best bet, since it is not a direct bolt-in. You would want the 208 or 241C. But if it has the TH350 I would go for it. Be sure to spin the input and output shafts, wiggle them side-to-side, up and down, in and out and see if there is any play. If there is a little play like when you turn the input shaft and it takes 1/8" or so before the output shaft turns that's not bad. But slop in the other ways would make me want to walk away from it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I found a np205 on craigs list for a 350 for $125, is that a good deal or should I offer much less, and will that one bolt right up? Sorry for asking so many question I'm just not very familiar with transmissions and tcases! But I really appreciate all the help so far!!!

If you can get a NP205 for a Th350 for $125, I'd snag it. That is a good deal. Because its the most preffered Tcase I usually don't see them here for any less than $200 in working order. $125 is what most will ask for a NP208 or NP241 and they'll settle for $100. Until I get done with'em then they settle for $75. I don't think I'd negotiate on an NP205 for $125. If it feels tight, not alot of slop or play, I'd grab it and go. And if its got the Th350 adapter, you can make it fit your 700r4 too. And it would be worth it. Not likley you'll ever break that NP205 if this is going to be your DD.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Fixed it for ya :waytogo:

I'd say that too, but now I've actually seen one that exploded. Cast iron case and all. I know its very rare, and he won't break it using for mild off road and daily driver use.

But, first things first here. Get this linkage issue fixed up so that you KNOW for a fact, you're in 4Hi. Then make sure the trans is bad. I am fairly certain the trans is toast. The PO mentioned it started slipping then it got to where it wouldn't move at all. Transfer cases do not go out that way. The only reason it moved just a little bit when you were in 4LO, is cuz with multiplication, you took mega strain off the worn clutch packs and it was able to move. Transfer Case is secondary here. But again, if you got the funds, I'd still grab that NP205, especially if its got the Th350 adapter with it. That adapter alone is worth the $125.

Last edited:

Cain8

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Ok talked to the guy and it was a bust turned out to be a 203 so I passed, and will you explain a little to me about then linkage what could be the problem and how do I go about fixing it? Thank y'all for everything

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You just get under the truck on the passenger side, there should be 2 rods coming from the bottom of your t-case shifter to the t-case itself. Just look at them and make sure they are attached right. They are held on with cotter pins and washers and can rust away letting one of the rods come loose. I'll have to check the 203 I have, there may only be 1 rod, I'm not sure. But the little zig zag plate on yours, I dont know if that belongs. 203s should have 4-Hi. Neutral, 4-Lo and 4-Lo Loc. (There may be a 4-Hi Loc too) After reading the other posts you said it moved a little in 4-Lo, I'm thinking like HRPC, 4-Lo makes so much torque from gear reduction it helped it move a little. I'm starting to believe your problem lies with the transmission. Either a dead torque converter or burnt clutches.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
You just get under the truck on the passenger side, there should be 2 rods coming from the bottom of your t-case shifter to the t-case itself. Just look at them and make sure they are attached right. They are held on with cotter pins and washers and can rust away letting one of the rods come loose. I'll have to check the 203 I have, there may only be 1 rod, I'm not sure. But the little zig zag plate on yours, I dont know if that belongs. 203s should have 4-Hi. Neutral, 4-Lo and 4-Lo Loc. (There may be a 4-Hi Loc too) After reading the other posts you said it moved a little in 4-Lo, I'm thinking like HRPC, 4-Lo makes so much torque from gear reduction it helped it move a little. I'm starting to believe your problem lies with the transmission. Either a dead torque converter or burnt clutches.

The NP203 Has 5 locations for the shifter, Starting in the position closest to the seat it should be:
4 High Lock
4 High
Neutral
4 Low
4 Low Lock.
The tail housing is aluminuim but the rest of the case is Cast.

The NP205 has 4 shifter locations. Starting from the position closest to the seat it should be:
4 High
2 High
Neutral
4 Low
The 205 is easilly recognizable by its Heavy cast iron case, There is also a small circular plate the bolts to the rear of the case Aprox. 2-2.5" in diameter, It will have 3 Bolts that hold it to the case. The shifter handle on the 205 is just round.

The shifters are Different aswell, The 205 has a center pivot bolt in which the shifter pivots on.
The 203 has 3-4 linkage rods, and the shifter itself is actually a side rail shifter style. usually the handle is like flit iron that tapers back down to a round shaft for the nob It is also usually chrome plated.
like C4 said the zig zag plate is NOT original to the truck,

As for your transmission, You need to check the line pressure, Sounds to me like the trans is smoked.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, I think so the trans is toast. Since it lost all gears, not just forward gears, or just low/reverse, or just have reverse etc, I think it narrowed down the direct pack is worn out since direct clutch pack is used for all gears. If it were forward clutch pack, he's still have low/reverse pack in good shape and with the direct clutch in good shape, he'd have reverse.

Cain8

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Yeah you guys are right just found a number on t case 241c, so should I take that z plate off it, also there was a sensor at the top on it not plugged in not sure what that goes to I'm guessing a gauge?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's probably the switch for the auto hubs that the guy said he eliminated.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
That's probably the switch for the auto hubs that the guy said he eliminated.

close that would be the 4X4 indicator light switch,

And Yes remove the Z plate, it is not needed with any of the GM transfer cases that have been mentioned.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is it possible there is a snapped shaft in the trans HR? :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah you guys are right just found a number on t case 241c, so should I take that z plate off it, also there was a sensor at the top on it not plugged in not sure what that goes to I'm guessing a gauge?

To the best of my knowledge, the switch you are reffering to, or the 2 wires, is for the 4x4 dash light to the guage cluster. That 241C won't be a bad transfer case for your truck as a daily driver. It has a pretty good crawl ratio in 4Low too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is it possible there is a snapped shaft in the trans HR? :popcorn:

No, cuz he said it moved a little in 4Low. I say the direct clutch is wore out or chewed up. PO said it started out as just slipping and then got worse and worse. If it were broke parts, usually the damage is done and it doesn't get progressivly worse unless the carnage is doing more damage but this sounds like sterotype worn out clutch pack to me.

BTW, I think the Z gate is supposed to be on the shfiter if you are running a NP208 or NP241C. Both of my NP208's feel liike a Z gate. From the dash coming back, you got 2HI, to 4HI, then you have to go right in the Z gate to N, then back against the seat to get ot 4Low.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave