Trasimission problem please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
They can be rebuilt but it becomes an issue of, should I rebuild this inferior t-case or try to find an upgrade unit? It's really up to you which way you want to send your money. I have an NP203 t-case in the basement right now, got it listed on the local Ad Bulletin for $100.

Cain8

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
What would be an upgrade from it?

Cain8

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
The guy I bought it from said it's the 205 and has 2wd hi? I don't see how seems to only have 3 gears

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
205 should be like this:
the position furthest back towards the seat is 4-Hi, next click forward is 2-Hi, next click forward is Neutral, and the last click all the way forward is 4-Lo. There should be plenty of pics on the net you can look at of 203s and 205s to help you determine the difference, google is your friend. Or take several good pics of it and post them here and one of us will help you figure out what it is.

Cain8

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
This is what it looks like

You must be registered for see images attach

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Actually I meant pics from the underside, we cant tell much about that. Other than that's not how one is supposed to look as far as the floor plate goes. I wonder if you shouldn't take that little zig zag plate off and see if you have any more gears. Something weird about that. But if you can get some pics of the underside that would be great.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I guess the guy could have the t-case linkage hooked up wrong lol but that plate just dont look right. Let me ask you this, does it have lock-in/lock-out hubs? This isnt a dead-giveaway because some people will put those hubs on a truck with a fulltime t-case and try to pawn it off as a part time when really it isnt, the front driveshaft will still spin. But if it just has the plain hub flange caps and no lock-in/lock-out knob, you can pretty much bet it's a fulltime 4wd with a 203.

Cain8

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
He said it had auto locking hubs and he changed it, now it has the ones you have to actually change

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like you do also have some kind of Tcase linkage issue as well, but it seeming to me the trans is toast. Go ahead and pull your trans dipstick now and see its color and if it smells hot or burnt. If you have lost all gears, you've probably worn out or lost your direct clutch pack in the transmission. Or a pump failure. The only other hope I see you might have, is that the filter has dropped off the valve body and you aren't picking up fluid. Highly unlikely though.
As far as Tcase. C4 pointed out the NP205 is best. Very true, but be prepared to spend a pretty penny on if you find one. And be prepared to spend an assload on an adapter too since they did not come OEM behind a 700r4. What will work and handle mild abuse is NP208 or NP241C. They are alluminum units and use chains instead of gear driven. They are also very very common and USUALLY, but not always, have the correct adapter. IF you're building a stricktly mud rig, go for the NP205, if you just want to get it running, go for the NP208 or NP241C. OEM for an 89 would have been the NP241C.
I'm certain the adapters are different, but I am fairly certain, SM465 manual trans, and auto trans Th400 both have 32 splines and thicker input shafts. I think I have all but given up and having me a shifter truck, so I will be looking for a Th400 and NP205 setup.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I did also forget to mention when looking for a Tcase, if its got the right adapter for a Th350, then its got the right adapter for the 700r4 too. Same bolt pattern on the Th350 and 700r4 tailshaft, and also same splines. So if you find a Tcase behind a Th350 it will also work with your trans. If you really feel you need a Tcase, or just want to change it to get away from Full Time 4x4, just keep your eyes open for either the NP205, NP208 and NP241C. You'll see what I mean about the prices and the 205 being more expensive. The last Tcase I bought used, was a NP208 in great shape. I paid $50 for it. That is a steal though. It is common to see them for $100-$150. Personally, I woudln't pay over $100 for one, unless it was rebuilt with low mileage and could be proved.
Also, if you find a NP241C, make sure you get one that has speed gears, not a Vehicle Speed Sensor for an electronic speedometer.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have a transfer an adapter out in my garage I am pretty sure came off a turbo 350. I have no use for it, I will make a positive ID on it and if you decide to run a NP208 its all yours.

All this transfer case talk had me resisting butting in until now, it depends on what your using your K5 for.

If your planning on using the Blazer in the same fashion I use my K1500 I would just go with the 208. I love going off road but not into beating the **** out of my truck or claiming its a rock crawler, its capable and the 208 never let me down.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a transfer an adapter out in my garage I am pretty sure came off a turbo 350. I have no use for it, I will make a positive ID on it and if you decide to run a NP208 its all yours.

All this transfer case talk had me resisting butting in until now, it depends on what your using your K5 for.

If your planning on using the Blazer in the same fashion I use my K1500 I would just go with the 208. I love going off road but not into beating the **** out of my truck or claiming its a rock crawler, its capable and the 208 never let me down.

True, I've not heard alot bad about NP208's, but as you mention, the people that are happy with them, aren't using them for severe duty. I've only heard of 1 person breaking an NP208, but I know it happens too, and I have also heard of 1 guy shatteing an NP205 and he said he wanted a chain drive unit. That blew my mind. He says its because with the chain, the unit is more forgiving, where the gear to gear, there is not forgiving a thing. Its going to go at whatever cause. So he might have been off his rocker. :shrug: I just know the NP208 and NP241's seem to be everywhere and sell failry cheap depending on the situation.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
...and I have also heard of 1 guy shatteing an NP205 and he said he wanted a chain drive unit. That blew my mind. He says its because with the chain, the unit is more forgiving, where the gear to gear, there is not forgiving a thing...So he might have been off his rocker.

^^^Yes, off his rocker.

Cain8

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Yeah I won't be doing any rock crawling or looking for a mud hole to break stuff at, I tried that before it gets expensive fast, I just want to turn this thing into an everyday driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave