Transmission swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Back to the great gmsquarebody forum hey guys I have an 86 c10 I believe 700r4. I have always wanted an sm465 I finally found one from a middle eastern guy into to big trucks surprise surprise. So I was curious it's out of a 5.7 I have a wee o five as hot rod likes to put it curious if I have to do drive line mods or not. Pretty sure it's a normal cable bell houseing so I think cable is how I will go if I can straight bolt up. Lemme know the technical stuff please if u can throw anything at u guys u always surprise so thanks guys.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, you'll have to go with driveline mods, of find out of a like truck with the same SM465 set up would be cheaper if you locate one. You can go with either manual Z bar linkage for the clutch, or you can go with hydraulic. The bellhousing you'll get will matter to which clutch pedal set up you'll want to use. OEM factory in 86 was a hydraulic clutch. You'll also need to swap your flexplate for a flywheel, and change starters too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kparris