transmission oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Obviously I understand it's not paint and won't dry like paint. My thought was whatever stays on the surface might capture the sand, but I have to admit I've never really used waste oil for anything. I remember my dad using for stuff, and dumping it out on the ground but that was in a time when that was more accepted too.

I've seen the forecast. It's sitting in the rain right now as I have no where to park it under cover. I suppose I could have tarped it, but I'm not really rushing this project it just kind of sounds like an interesting project, and cheap. I like cheap.

I could see using a weed sprayer for some projects but not this one. I don't want the oil all sprayed on the metal sides of the trailer. I'm using the long handled brush.

I could see using a paint roller and long handle.

Ok so I'm going to use the brush, for this project, it's a long handled, probably 8 - 10" long and 4" wide, it should suck up the oil and work it into the cracks well. But I will try first coat without thinning. I may heat it, to speed absorption.

My dog will be unhappy that she has to stay out of the trailer for the weekend though. For some reason she loves to get up in it and look out and around lol.
my 1946 massey harris manual says to collect rainwater for use in the cooling system
and to make a drain field with rock and sand and stuff to pour oil into.

I imagine the john deeres or tractors with kerosene probably gave tips on how to dilute kerosene with the oil(same thing by time you change it right lol) and use it for heating or lamp or something lol..

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
my 1946 massey harris manual says to collect rainwater for use in the cooling system
and to make a drain field with rock and sand and stuff to pour oil into.

I imagine the john deeres or tractors with kerosene probably gave tips on how to dilute kerosene with the oil(same thing by time you change it right lol) and use it for heating or lamp or something lol..
I've read old manuals for equipment that suggested running 30W and cutting it with kerosine for winter use if 10 or 20W was unavailable or you didn't want to drain the oil all out so there is that.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
this is good idea, what kind of roller like one of those "rough surface" ones or something elegant and nice like a cabinet roller (joke)
I happened to already have a long knap one that was due to be thrown away. Works like a champ.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I've read old manuals for equipment that suggested running 30W and cutting it with kerosine for winter use if 10 or 20W was unavailable or you didn't want to drain the oil all out so there is that.
I think the difference there is the type of use because kerosene in engine oil in crankcase kinda negates the oil part on surfaces and then metal on metal

but if its like a t case then maybe its ok? my skidsteer is like 3 different fluids but one of them is like 10 quarts of sae 30 oil
From 1979

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think the difference there is the type of use because kerosene in engine oil in crankcase kinda negates the oil part on surfaces and then metal on metal

but if its like a t case then maybe its ok? my skidsteer is like 3 different fluids but one of them is like 10 quarts of sae 30 oil
From 1979
I understand what your saying I guess I was just pointing out another thing that once was considered ok by manufactures that today we'd never even consider doing.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I understand what your saying I guess I was just pointing out another thing that once was considered ok by manufactures that today we'd never even consider doing.
oh no im saying that i think the only reason that that itself may have been is because of that. like, they are looking at it as water would be lube compared to nothing but water freezes so heres some kerosene for your oil :eek::superhack:

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Since everyone else has given great advice on how to, I'm going to go in a different direction with "any suggestions??"

For a filter I like to use WIX. I've been hooked on them since way back when. And since there are no a plethora of filter tests on the internet WIX is constantly top rated and that has only reinforced that. All my cars, and trucks have them and we use them at the shop as well.

For fluid, I'm very much into factory fill fluid. Which means no universal fluids, and only put in the type the factory did or as close as possible. So at the shop we have an entire shelf of just tranny fluid. In squares I like to use ACDelco ATF Type III (H) part #88865544. If you can't get it at your local parts store, you can order it from amazon. Valvoline still makes a dexIII / Mercon fluid, but I don't like maxlife Valvoline because it's a synthetic, and these trannys did not take synthetic from the factory.

I'm sure others will disagree with me on this, but the above formula has worked out well both in my rigs and customers.

My TH350 doesn't like to get into gear and go when cold. I will check the fluid level when I get home this evening, but I don't know when it was last changed. If it's low and I just wanted to add some, would this be the NAPA equivalent of what you suggest: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOL75200? Or, without knowing what is currently in there, would mixing different types of fluid be detrimental to the transmission, where I would be better off with a full fluid and filter change?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My TH350 doesn't like to get into gear and go when cold. I will check the fluid level when I get home this evening, but I don't know when it was last changed. If it's low and I just wanted to add some, would this be the NAPA equivalent of what you suggest: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOL75200? Or, without knowing what is currently in there, would mixing different types of fluid be detrimental to the transmission, where I would be better off with a full fluid and filter change?
I would strongly suggest that you change the filter and filter but not for fluid mixing reasons but because the most common cause of not wanting to go into gear cold is a plugged filter. Let go long enough it can hurt the transmission. That fluid you quoted it probably fine. I'll admit that I kind of geek out on using the closest thing possible to the factory fluid, but that stuff is spec'ed for dex/merc.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I would strongly suggest that you change the filter and filter but not for fluid mixing reasons but because the most common cause of not wanting to go into gear cold is a plugged filter. Let go long enough it can hurt the transmission. That fluid you quoted it probably fine. I'll admit that I kind of geek out on using the closest thing possible to the factory fluid, but that stuff is spec'ed for dex/merc.

From one Rob to another - thank you, sir!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Any Dex3 fluid will work; Dex6 full synthetic is backwards compatible but not necessary. If your filter is the cloth variety (probably is, if you're having delayed engagements cold only) then toss it in the trash and install a screen style filter. Never use the cloth type - they suck. Use a regular composite style pan gasket (no cork or rubber - they both leak) and no RTV on the pan, gasket, or mating surface.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Any Dex3 fluid will work; Dex6 full synthetic is backwards compatible but not necessary. If your filter is the cloth variety (probably is, if you're having delayed engagements cold only) then toss it in the trash and install a screen style filter. Never use the cloth type - they suck. Use a regular composite style pan gasket (no cork or rubber - they both leak) and no RTV on the pan, gasket, or mating surface.

Thanks. Delayed engagement is only when cold, otherwise, it is fine. I would bet it is the cloth filter. The previous owner(s) seemed cut a lot of corners on this truck, so I would be surprised if they changed to a better filter.

Everything on NAPA is showing a rubber gasket, so I'll grab the fluid from them but head to rockauto for the filter and gasket.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks. Delayed engagement is only when cold, otherwise, it is fine. I would bet it is the cloth filter. The previous owner(s) seemed cut a lot of corners on this truck, so I would be surprised if they changed to a better filter.

Everything on NAPA is showing a rubber gasket, so I'll grab the fluid from them but head to rockauto for the filter and gasket.

You're welcome...Check your area for a local Transstar distributor/OTC retailer. If one is present, they will have everything you need and possibly for cheaper than Rock Auto when shipping is factored into the total price.

ETA: If you still have delayed engagements only when cold after the filter/fluid change then I'd suspect excessively worn pump stator bushings leading to converter drainback...

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't know if anyone mentioned this,most plain old plastic trash cans have big lids with 1 hole right in the middle of the top,pull the plug out of the hole,put it upside down on a drain pan and you have a huge target to hit,it's hard not to get the transmission fluid in it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave