transmission oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
i use one of these to draw out all of the ATF first.
No mess whatsoever, just saying.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok yes I understand what you are saying, and I'm in the opposite corner where I would not recommend a synthetic fluid in a high mileage automatic square transmission. But I do understand your prospective and I think both have merits.

I'm pretty sure I looked up the right part # last night but regardless I cannot recalling having had the 10-4033 in my hand. I'd really love to read the back of the package and see the fluid. It is at local warehouse so I might, if I feel like it order a quart just so I can read the back of the bottle lol.
I don't think she is saying to use a syn in a high mileage or any used square trans either

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I don't think she is saying to use a syn in a high mileage or any used square trans either
I'm sure you are right, sometimes, especially when text conversation go on for a few days, it is for me at least easy to forget details, or misremember things. I my defense it was a heck of a rough week at the shop so it's probably me. LOL

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
Be sure to torque the pan carefully and evenly. 11ft/lb on my TH350 yours may be different

85 red GMC

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
My friend helped me change Transmission fluid on the 85 GMC short bed and the 83 Blazer. Not because fluid was bad but pan gaskets were weeping. We loosened bolts on one side / corner and then edged that side down with looser bolts all the way around. We let it come out in a big pan on top of an oil drain catcher (like for engine oil). It has woked well both times with minimal spill but they should put drain plugs in them but guess they were too cheap back then. You did have to change tranny fluid more often then than now.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
^ that's what I do, usually.

Loosen them slowly from one end to the other until I have only 2 of them holding the pan on the case. (By this point It's at a 45° angle or so.

As long as a catch pan is under it, it's usually not too messy unless the PO used tons of rtv and you gotta get the pry bar our to remove the pan LMAO

I have a welder, I have tools, and I even have stuff I can weld into the pan for a plug, yet nothing I own that I've modified has a drain plug except my suburban which is an aftermarket deep, cast pan.

I dunno what's up with that lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ok yes I understand what you are saying, and I'm in the opposite corner where I would not recommend a synthetic fluid in a high mileage automatic square transmission. But I do understand your prospective and I think both have merits.

I'm pretty sure I looked up the right part # last night but regardless I cannot recalling having had the 10-4033 in my hand. I'd really love to read the back of the package and see the fluid. It is at local warehouse so I might, if I feel like it order a quart just so I can read the back of the bottle lol.
no I said I dont recommend it lol, it would be like draino in a slow drain but the stuff it breaks up just stays in the finite loop of ATF and causes issues lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
^ that's what I do, usually.

Loosen them slowly from one end to the other until I have only 2 of them holding the pan on the case. (By this point It's at a 45° angle or so.

As long as a catch pan is under it, it's usually not too messy unless the PO used tons of rtv and you gotta get the pry bar our to remove the pan LMAO

I have a welder, I have tools, and I even have stuff I can weld into the pan for a plug, yet nothing I own that I've modified has a drain plug except my suburban which is an aftermarket deep, cast pan.

I dunno what's up with that lol
not too bad to do the pan drains like that IF the pan shape is cohesive to it and also if there isnt anything in the way

not happy with the contents but this wasnt too bad to do it like described

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
not too bad to do the pan drains like that IF the pan shape is cohesive to it and also if there isnt anything in the way

The method Worked fine on my 4T60e also

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

The method Worked fine on my 4T60e also
Ya, I don't have a drain plug in any of my pans, but I really should. What I do is every 30K or 3 years or so, I drop the pan using the "Loosen them slowly from one end to the other until I have only 2 of them holding the pan". If for some reason I feel the need to change the fluid in between, I'll generally suck it out with a suckin' machine. I have an air operated one at work and a little 12 volt one I picked up from Amazon and that one stays in the barn on the farm. And then just refill without pulling the pan.

Sometimes it surprises me how resilient trannys can be. I got my 96 Grand Cherokee at 275K, the trans fluid was brown and there was a lot of not good looking stuff in the pan. Who knows when it had been last changed. Well I did the fluid and filter, sucked it and filled it a few times that week until the fluid stayed pink, and it's still going at 375K now.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ya, I don't have a drain plug in any of my pans, but I really should. What I do is every 30K or 3 years or so, I drop the pan using the "Loosen them slowly from one end to the other until I have only 2 of them holding the pan". If for some reason I feel the need to change the fluid in between, I'll generally suck it out with a suckin' machine. I have an air operated one at work and a little 12 volt one I picked up from Amazon and that one stays in the barn on the farm. And then just refill without pulling the pan.

Sometimes it surprises me how resilient trannys can be. I got my 96 Grand Cherokee at 275K, the trans fluid was brown and there was a lot of not good looking stuff in the pan. Who knows when it had been last changed. Well I did the fluid and filter, sucked it and filled it a few times that week until the fluid stayed pink, and it's still going at 375K now.
Yeah, the only one I have with a drain plug is for my 4L80 and that's because its an aftermarket deep pan. After the 4th or 5th time having to drop the one on the 6L80 for various reasons I'm REALLY considering adding one to it. I also drop all the bolts down the sides and leave two in front just a little out. Then I will loosen two in the rear about halfway out and then give the pan a tap. It will drop down at an angle and then drain almost all out that way. Then I push it back up and pull the rest of the bolts and take the pan the rest of the way out.

I went and got a big plastic water heater drain pan from home depot for ~$10 and thats what I put under the pan when I first knock it loose. I also use it under a bucket when I am doing a trans rebuild. It catches everything and the bucket holds the trans while I tear it down.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah, the only one I have with a drain plug is for my 4L80 and that's because its an aftermarket deep pan. After the 4th or 5th time having to drop the one on the 6L80 for various reasons I'm REALLY considering adding one to it. I also drop all the bolts down the sides and leave two in front just a little out. Then I will loosen two in the rear about halfway out and then give the pan a tap. It will drop down at an angle and then drain almost all out that way. Then I push it back up and pull the rest of the bolts and take the pan the rest of the way out.

I went and got a big plastic water heater drain pan from home depot for ~$10 and thats what I put under the pan when I first knock it loose. I also use it under a bucket when I am doing a trans rebuild. It catches everything and the bucket holds the trans while I tear it down.
I found my oil catch pan that you can seal up kind I got for free from random person one day asking if anyone wanted one. I wasnt about to turn down a sealing oil thing lol.
Anyway, It JUST is wide enough for 4t65e pan to do the one side drop thing. a little splash off the side but that was just the first few seconds

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I found my oil catch pan that you can seal up kind I got for free from random person one day asking if anyone wanted one. I wasnt about to turn down a sealing oil thing lol.
Anyway, It JUST is wide enough for 4t65e pan to do the one side drop thing. a little splash off the side but that was just the first few seconds
I have a big sealing pan also. I use that for final dump and taking it in to recycle. The bigger flat pan with a plug in it makes it easier to capture everything and then pour it into the sealable container.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a big sealing pan also. I use that for final dump and taking it in to recycle. The bigger flat pan with a plug in it makes it easier to capture everything and then pour it into the sealable container.
Ive been storing all my oil. im shy of 200 gallons but above 150. Im kinda worried because half of it is my doing but Im this far in I cant give up and start bringing it 20 minutes away to recycle.

Good thing I have storage things lol.. I do have an old gasoline tank on a trailer thats just rusting..

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

It's kind of funny, here I manage a shop, where I could put the truck in the air and roll a drain cart under it, but somehow I almost always end up doing the work on my vehicles at the farm on my back lol. I think part of that is I just don't really want to spend my time at work. That and when the weather is nice I enjoy working on my rigs outside.
Ive been storing all my oil. im shy of 200 gallons but above 150. Im kinda worried because half of it is my doing but Im this far in I cant give up and start bringing it 20 minutes away to recycle.

Good thing I have storage things lol.. I do have an old gasoline tank on a trailer thats just rusting..
As long as it's in something unlikely to leak. IDK if your interested in this, but used motor oil makes a nice looking wood stain, so does new or a mix depending on how dark you want it to be. Not something you'd wanna do your coffee table in unless you plan to seal over it after. Just like any other stain, brush it on, let it soak in and wipe of the excess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54