transmission oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It's kind of funny, here I manage a shop, where I could put the truck in the air and roll a drain cart under it, but somehow I almost always end up doing the work on my vehicles at the farm on my back lol. I think part of that is I just don't really want to spend my time at work. That and when the weather is nice I enjoy working on my rigs outside.

As long as it's in something unlikely to leak. IDK if your interested in this, but used motor oil makes a nice looking wood stain, so does new or a mix depending on how dark you want it to be. Not something you'd wanna do your coffee table in unless you plan to seal over it after. Just like any other stain, brush it on, let it soak in and wipe of the excess.
I have been planning to do my trailer boards with this and some diesel/kero to thin it

As well as put a couple carriage bolts where some curl up has happened. if i dont do something with the wood on the trailer, its going to get exponentially decayed in no time lol. one day when I get my other trailer out from the way back (thats not even gonna be pulled with a half ton truck unless unloaded lol.. so much steel...) It will need presumably brake work, paint work, all new decking, tires, etc.. But its so stout and good steel it could be rusty like toyota tacoma frame rusty for 10 years and be unphased lol..
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankly im surprised its a ball hitch and not a pintle kind

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ive been storing all my oil. im shy of 200 gallons but above 150. Im kinda worried because half of it is my doing but Im this far in I cant give up and start bringing it 20 minutes away to recycle.

Good thing I have storage things lol.. I do have an old gasoline tank on a trailer thats just rusting..
You’re just infinitely storing waste oil for??

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have been planning to do my trailer boards with this and some diesel/kero to thin it

As well as put a couple carriage bolts where some curl up has happened. if i dont do something with the wood on the trailer, its going to get exponentially decayed in no time lol. one day when I get my other trailer out from the way back (thats not even gonna be pulled with a half ton truck unless unloaded lol.. so much steel...) It will need presumably brake work, paint work, all new decking, tires, etc.. But its so stout and good steel it could be rusty like toyota tacoma frame rusty for 10 years and be unphased lol..

Frankly im surprised its a ball hitch and not a pintle kind
That's a good idea, my 18' trailer has a solid deck, but wood is old and deteriorating somewhat. I've been thinking I should do something for the last couple years. Oil treatment it shall be.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That's a good idea, my 18' trailer has a solid deck, but wood is old and deteriorating somewhat. I've been thinking I should do something for the last couple years. Oil treatment it shall be.
to avoid a slippery situation almost thinking of adding some kind of traction aid to create a not too slippery surface since I heard this will be a little slippery when doing the oil thing after a while but the trailer has had that issue before from memory especially with the metal steep dove tail part on the back lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You’re just infinitely storing waste oil for??
Ive had empty and partial filled oil things ever since I started working on stuff and I also hadnt had a sealing pan till recent times and space for the oil things is not tight

And I dont like the idea of pouring into the ground especially since we ourselves use a well and thats something that a lot of people with impunity. If I didnt have the room for or things to put the oil in, as much as id hate it but i would be filling my gallon/5qt oil containers as I pour it out and driving it to the nearest recycling tank or auto store(about the same amount of time to do eitehr) as messy and time consuming it would be.

I have kept gear oil separate since I didnt think I should mix that in especially if It were to end up being used for waste oil burner. but so far that all fits in a 5 gallon bucket which I could install lid on to handle that

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ive had empty and partial filled oil things ever since I started working on stuff and I also hadnt had a sealing pan till recent times and space for the oil things is not tight

And I dont like the idea of pouring into the ground especially since we ourselves use a well and thats something that a lot of people with impunity. If I didnt have the room for or things to put the oil in, as much as id hate it but i would be filling my gallon/5qt oil containers as I pour it out and driving it to the nearest recycling tank or auto store(about the same amount of time to do eitehr) as messy and time consuming it would be.

I have kept gear oil separate since I didnt think I should mix that in especially if It were to end up being used for waste oil burner. but so far that all fits in a 5 gallon bucket which I could install lid on to handle that
I wasn’t suggesting dumping it out in the back 40.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I wasn’t suggesting dumping it out in the back 40.
I didnt think you were im saying that the primary reason to keep it is that dumping it in the ground is not a good idea and a lot of people do that sadly

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
to avoid a slippery situation almost thinking of adding some kind of traction aid to create a not too slippery surface since I heard this will be a little slippery when doing the oil thing after a while but the trailer has had that issue before from memory especially with the metal steep dove tail part on the back lol
I'm sure it would. My trailer deck gets pretty slippery if I don't pressure wash it once a year, but my thinking is the oil should soak in. I would think you could put a coating of the oil down, let it soak in, sprinkle a little sand down and then do another layer of oil. IDK I think we'd have to experiment a little. My dog likes to jump up in there, so I'd have to make sure to keep the tail gate on for a week or so after doing it. I got to remember to do this next weekend and see what happens.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm sure it would. My trailer deck gets pretty slippery if I don't pressure wash it once a year, but my thinking is the oil should soak in. I would think you could put a coating of the oil down, let it soak in, sprinkle a little sand down and then do another layer of oil. IDK I think we'd have to experiment a little. My dog likes to jump up in there, so I'd have to make sure to keep the tail gate on for a week or so after doing it. I got to remember to do this next weekend and see what happens.
Not a bad idea especially since my wood has very coarse look now it probably would be the perfect place to have that lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not a bad idea especially since my wood has very coarse look now it probably would be the perfect place to have that lol
Ok here is my plan I've been thinking about this.

First coat used oil cut with something. IDK maybe diesel fuel, I hate the smell of that crap. I may use paint thinner even though it will cost more, it'll also evaporate better once the oil is soaked into the wood. I've picked a brush and handle already, it's an old soft bristle brush so I can put a tray of my mixture out, coat the entire trailer quickly and without to much bending. Let it soak in, maybe over night and then decide if sand and another coat seem prudent. Also it's suppose to rail all week if the trailer deck is wet I'll have to wait to do it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No need to thin the oil. Just paint or roll it on.
Looking at our forecast, you’re out of luck until next Saturday, if you keep it dry all week!
Just schlop it on. Don’t waste your time with sand. It’s not paint. The sand won’t stick. If it soaks up quick, give it a second coat.
Old school waterproofing.
Or if you want to do it quicker, use a spray can like a weed sprayer or form oil sprayer. Might need to cut the oil for a weed sprayer.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use a paint roller with a long handle, and pick up the old oil (usually still warm) straight from the drain pan.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Looking at our forecast, you’re out of luck until next Saturday, if you keep it dry all week!
Just schlop it on. Don’t waste your time with sand. It’s not paint. The sand won’t stick. If it soaks up quick, give it a second coat.
Or if you want to do it quicker, use a spray can like a weed sprayer or form oil sprayer. Might need to cut the oil for a weed sprayer.
how about a hand cart and a 25 (i think 25) gallon drum of oil (short ones, i assume close to half) with a barrel pump and a some old expendable hose/tube to direct it lol

I dont want to do it at this time unfortunately I need to get my car from uncles hes asking i get it moved.

I still am waiting for his son, my cousin, to pay me for either the car or replace the engine he blew up by leaving the oil cap off (burned oil, he added) and then just drove until it started to make granola noises... anyway I figure this will be a good time to remount the winch on the trailer since I found the replacement plastic case my gpa ordered for it so I can house all the solenoid and wiring nice and secure

And its a nice size winch and I found the remote...

anyway I dont want to make it slippery but I will for the first time use that trailer with matching tires AND it wont be HELL putting a car on it lol(alone esp)

so this is what I got to do the job with (plus winch) and then this is the cargo. in that green car pic you can see why i meant it annoying to load a car by self up till now lol
And I also now have just 1 tire on 4 wheels not 3 different tires among 4 wheels (1 being a truck snow tire which was being cut by the fender)

also calm down i know its all "woah didnt ask" but i vaguely changed who the post is replying to at an undefined point so <3

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I use a paint roller with a long handle, and pick up the old oil (usually still warm) straight from the drain pan.
this is good idea, what kind of roller like one of those "rough surface" ones or something elegant and nice like a cabinet roller (joke)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Obviously I understand it's not paint and won't dry like paint. My thought was whatever stays on the surface might capture the sand, but I have to admit I've never really used waste oil for anything. I remember my dad using for stuff, and dumping it out on the ground but that was in a time when that was more accepted too.

I've seen the forecast. It's sitting in the rain right now as I have no where to park it under cover. I suppose I could have tarped it, but I'm not really rushing this project it just kind of sounds like an interesting project, and cheap. I like cheap.

I could see using a weed sprayer for some projects but not this one. I don't want the oil all sprayed on the metal sides of the trailer. I'm using the long handled brush.

I could see using a paint roller and long handle.

Ok so I'm going to use the brush, for this project, it's a long handled, probably 8 - 10" long and 4" wide, it should suck up the oil and work it into the cracks well. But I will try first coat without thinning. I may heat it, to speed absorption.

My dog will be unhappy that she has to stay out of the trailer for the weekend though. For some reason she loves to get up in it and look out and around lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28