Transmission ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wannabe

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a couple questions. I am putting a 700r4 into my '73 C10. I had bought a trans but it was no good so I took what I might need off of it. The tail shaft housing was one. Yesterday I got another one, guaranteed to be good. It has an electric speedo set up and I need mechanical. It has the big diameter driven gear housing and the gear is large also. It is a green driven, can anyone tell me what drive gear I need? Also I got this number off the passenger side near the back of the trans,, CK2236298. Does this number tell what year it is?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have a couple questions. I am putting a 700r4 into my '73 C10. I had bought a trans but it was no good so I took what I might need off of it. The tail shaft housing was one. Yesterday I got another one, guaranteed to be good. It has an electric speedo set up and I need mechanical. It has the big diameter driven gear housing and the gear is large also. It is a green driven, can anyone tell me what drive gear I need? Also I got this number off the passenger side near the back of the trans,, CK2236298. Does this number tell what year it is?
Colors are irrelevant...Using TCIs speedo calculator, you need to plug in your tire diameter, final drive ratio and drive gear tooth count to determine the tooth count for the driven gear. This will get you close to spot on.

There should be a number in front of the "CK223....). That number corresponds to the year of production. 88+ 700R4s all have an upside down "U" shaped crease on the passenger side of the case. For example, If yours has such a crease cast into the case and you have a "1" as the first number in front of those other letters and numbers, you have a 1991 case.

Last edited:

Wannabe

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you Nick, it is a "K" case so I think I did okay getting it. It also has the grooves you mentioned. I have too many unknowns concerning the drive/driven gear. The only part I have is the large green driven gear and I would have to pull the cover off the diff because I have no idea what gear is in there and the only drive gear is the electric one. I guess I'm just going to have to experiment with it. I would just get a GPS speedo but all my gauges are brand new Equus

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad