Transmission acting up, all of a sudden

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
My windshield cracked, so I decided to give my truck a break from daily driver duty. 3 weeks later I put in a new windshield, and go for a spin. I noticed my tranny is taking a lot longer to shift out of 1st gear, and when it shifts, it shifts hard. The rest of the gears shift fine. Anybody have an idea why this is happening all of a sudden?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What trans do you have? I know it should be a 700r4, BUT this sounds like a classic Th350 or Th400 trans has lost vacuum to the vacuum modulator. Could it be while it had it's 3 week break, a critter got in it chewed up a vacuum line?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Its a 700r4, with a shift kit. Now that you mention a leak, I did hear an unfamiliar noise under the hood, something between a tick and a rattle. Where would the vacuum line be located at?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
What would the cause the cable to come out of adjustment?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Who knows. Could have stretched from heat/cold cycling. My Blazer was suddenly taking a long time to shift out of first when cold and would shift hard, readjusting the cable cured it.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Righteous, I'm gonna check it out in the morning. Another question, would the TV cable have anything to do with my accelerator pedal being really hard to press down, I know its not the throttle cable, cause I put a new one on and it didn't change anything.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, no Vacuum Mod on a 700r4. You've got a Governor and a TV cable. How much have you driven it since it sat? It's possible a worn valve may have decided to hang or get stuck in a bore from sitting. It is possible with some driving it a bit and heating up good that it might correct itself. Also check fluid level. If it's a little low, might a good time to put in a good trans conditioner to rejuvinate some older seals too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Righteous, I'm gonna check it out in the morning. Another question, would the TV cable have anything to do with my accelerator pedal being really hard to press down, I know its not the throttle cable, cause I put a new one on and it didn't change anything.

Uhhh YES. FOR CERTAIN. Check out that TV Cable if you're having throttle pedal issues. Without doubt, you could have kink or stuck TV cable. And if it stuck in it's housing, then you're stretching it out by pushing harder on it, and that will indeed throw the adjustment off. DO CHECK IT. That is important and your trans life depends on it.

It might be time to replace that cable. The $20 and time to pull the pan is worth saving the transmission. The new few quarts of fluid won't hurt either.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Put the seal conditioner in after the fluid/filter change and, while You are at it, install a drain plug too, the kits not expensive and, it`ll save from making a mess in future fluid/filter changes, which reminds Me, I should do the fluid/filter on My 93, woohoo, I`ll get to, for the first time, try out the drain plug kit I installed on Mine transmixers pan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blazermaniac