transfercase not turning the rear driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigben129

Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
81-85
Truck Model
1/2 - 3/4 ton
Engine Size
350's
which transfer do i have
whats the difference between 203 and 208?

ours has a shift knob with the hi and lo lock on it.

anyway my question is .......

it wont turn the rear wheels when shiffted into 4 low or 4 low lock.

any ideas why.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
208 is aluminum case and has 2-Hi on it, 4 lo loc and 4 hi loc are only on the NP203. There's a countershaft for low range, something may be up with it. Fork or synchro hub problem. I got an exploded view of it around here somewhere...

bigben129

Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
81-85
Truck Model
1/2 - 3/4 ton
Engine Size
350's
Ok must be 203 cause 2wd is not an option unless you unlock the hubs

Can i replace this with a 205? What do i need to look at? Thanks

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You'll need an adapter/mount (goes between the trans & t-case) and shifter, and of course a 205 with the fine spline input shaft for coupling with a TH350. You may also need the front & rear driveshafts, depending on if you have it set up for slip-yoke or slip-joint driveshaft.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Ok must be 203 cause 2wd is not an option unless you unlock the hubs

Can i replace this with a 205? What do i need to look at? Thanks

WOOO!!!! Unlock the hubs? NP203 is a FULLTIME transfercase and lock out hubs are NOT used, instead they have drive flanges inside the hubs.

Now there is a Part time conversion kit that can be added to the 203 to make it a Part time transfercase. I am wondering if someone possably did the conversion to your transfercase and it has failed? Maybe C4 can enlighten us on just what the conversion is and if its a possability. I have been told that the Part time conversion kit is NOT a very good kit, I was told that the transfer case will not last as long. Why I dont remember, again maybe C4 knows something about it?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Part time kit in a 203 reduces longevity because of insufficient oiling in the case. From what I've read you have to put it in 4WD occasionally and drive it around to make sure everything is lubed. As far as what's involved internally I havent a clue, never done one but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the net about it. The simple test would be to unlock the hubs and try every range going slow while someone walks alongside the truck watching the front driveshaft. If it quits spinning in one of the ranges then it has the part time kit, and may be more desirable to someone out there. IMO the best thing a 203 has to offer is as a range box in a doubler setup.