Unflipping rear axle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seege

Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My project truck was lowered by the previous owner and is way too low for me in the rear with a bunch of rear-end sag. Front end height is good. He C-notched it and used 1'-2' drop hangars. I put stock hangars back on it and gained back 1.5 inches. I still need almost 4 more inches. I need to get this done so I can get the new driveshaft length dialed. I can't see any way to raise it other than flipping the axle back and then using the drop hangars again. The question is, can I simply reverse the flip? Theres a block between the axle and leafs and I'm wondering if that existed originally or was part of a flip kit? I'm worried if I simply flip it, it's going too high. Thanks

Attachments

• tempImageW286pK.png
    tempImageW286pK.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 89

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yep, you can just unflip it. You won't need that little block/saddle as that's flip specific. The springs will just sit on that pad on top of the axle. Then you'll simply need to buy OE u-bolts and reuse that flat retainer plate. You'll probably need longer shocks at that point too.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Since you're worried it will be too high, measure from the bottom of the spring pack to the top of the upper perch on the axle. That's how much height you will gain by unflipping.

Seege

Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Since you're worried it will be too high, measure from the bottom of the spring pack to the top of the upper perch on the axle. That's how much height you will gain by unflipping.
That distance is over 6 inches... putting the drop shackle back on will net 1.5 from that. So a net of just over 4.5 inches. Tough decision, I can see why people use airbags.

Seege

Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
One more thing here is the drivers side is sitting 1/2' lower than passenger side now. New springs should fix that. I'm thinking that if I buy lowering leaf springs, that may level it out and put it in the ride height range I'd like after the axle flip. Thoughts?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Got a picture of the whole truck? I'm just curious what height-ish you're going for. The "chevy lean" is super common, especially in the '81-up single fuel tank trucks because the tank and driver are both over there. Most of the time, you'll need to either use shackles in the rear set to different heights or trim the front springs independently until you're happy. I had to trim my pass spring more than my driver's spring to get my truck to be mostly level.

Seege

Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Got a picture of the whole truck? I'm just curious what height-ish you're going for. The "chevy lean" is super common, especially in the '81-up single fuel tank trucks because the tank and driver are both over there. Most of the time, you'll need to either use shackles in the rear set to different heights or trim the front springs independently until you're happy. I had to trim my pass spring more than my driver's spring to get my truck to be mostly level.
Tank is going on the passenger side. I'm going with the lowering leafs as this thing will be too high after flipping the axle back over.

Attachments

• tempImageJUPtmG.png
    tempImageJUPtmG.png
    992 KB · Views: 66

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I need to get this done so I can get the new driveshaft length dialed.

You may find when you remove the "U" adaptors, that the the spring pin hole is not centered. The adaptors were made that way so when the truck was lowered using these, it moved the axle back. You did not have to shorten the driveshaft. So when you set the axle under the springs your driveshaft may be the right length.

Also to note, the "U" adaptors may have torn the original spring saddles at the weld. The original saddles were not meant to be used that way. Please check the welds.

Seege

Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Will do on the full check of things. I got a set of Western -3' leaf springs. That should put the height in the range I want, we'll see soon. On the driveshaft length, went from a 4 speed to a 4l80 auto so getting rid of the original driveline.

Seege

Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Updating the thread: installed the -3 leaf springs, re-installed the -2 shackle and flipped the axle back over. Looks good to me. Re-installing quite a few things soon which may change it but good for now. Thanks for the help. Couple pics attached.

Attachments

• tempImageNg8AYu.png
    tempImageNg8AYu.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • tempImagerYUaqY.png
    tempImagerYUaqY.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • tempImagezqnFYT.png
    tempImagezqnFYT.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
That's the look I'm headed towards on my c-20. Slightly lower but with full 8200# capacity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara