Trailer breaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gingerfoxe

Reaction score
First Name
Kyra
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm in the process of stripping down my truck and doing away with systems I don't want. The trailer brakes being one of them.
They're old school hydraulic line and I want it gone. If I'm going to ever tow again I'd like an updated system.
Other than pulling the wiring, I've already done that, how do I go about un-tapping these from my brake lines?
I want to think this is simple but I don't have experience with these.
I figure I just undo what's been done, i.e. remove the tap and plug in the line?

Attachments

• 20220303_113550.jpg
    20220303_113550.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 59

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Correct, and then bleed the brakes to purge out any air in the line, that may have entered when removing the tap.

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Remove the T they added and just plug the factory line back into the master. Small chance you won’t have to do any bleeding if your quick.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Remove the T they added and just plug the factory line back into the master. Small chance you won’t have to do any bleeding if your quick.
if youre really anal someone could make a little reservoir and submerge it all in fluid and change it. thats a lot of work to avoid a little work tho

gingerfoxe

Reaction score
First Name
Kyra
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've tried breaking loose the T connector. Won't budge. Feels nearly fused to one of the main break lines. However, I can remove the lower, thinner line to the break controller. That got me thinking...
So I found break line plugs. I haven't measured the size yet but am I wrong to think that there is a thinner/smaller sized brake line plug to cap off the T connector? I'm thinking this could work without much issue, for now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've tried breaking loose the T connector. Won't budge. Feels nearly fused to one of the main break lines. However, I can remove the lower, thinner line to the break controller. That got me thinking...
So I found break line plugs. I haven't measured the size yet but am I wrong to think that there is a thinner/smaller sized brake line plug to cap off the T connector? I'm thinking this could work without much issue, for now.

Yes, they do make them. In recent years, I've found a couple parts stores that refuse to sell them, in fear that someone will cap off their brakes and cause a lawsuit. The O'Reillys in Adel GA comes to mind, lol. I then bought a tee fitting and a couple short lines and accomplished the same thing.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
3/16" inverted flare plug:

You must be registered for see images attach

Advance Auto (click)

Any auto parts store worth shopping at has them.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes, they do make them. In recent years, I've found a couple parts stores that refuse to sell them, in fear that someone will cap off their brakes and cause a lawsuit. The O'Reillys in Adel GA comes to mind, lol. I then bought a tee fitting and a couple short lines and accomplished the same thing.
I really hate this culture of self-cancelling if you will that is just ignorant people assuming they will be liable for the completely indirect and not complicit role in the person being dumb. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28