TPI parts worth swapping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The dual sync distributor has a cam and crank sensor in it. You can get a flat cap for it when using it only for the sensors. No need to change the timing cover an add the sensor there with it! I honestly want the coils on the VC so people go wtf?

The self tuning is decent but it's only for the fuel trims. You need to manually set your desired afr, timing, accel enrichment, cold starts, etc. I don't like how they advertise them because people think it will "learn" everything on its own an you shouldn't have to touch it. People get suckered in by that an have high expectations an then are pissed that they have to adjust things. I've about stopped working on Snipers because of people's attitudes and shoddy installs....

That's good to know about the tuning.

I know there are ways of using a distributor, or variation of one, for the cam sensor. But I have it in my mind that a cam sensor right on the cam gear is a more accurate way of doing it. Whether or not that's true... I can't say for sure. But my mind still wants a sensor in the timing cover, lol.

You have a good point about the coils on the valve covers though. My whole thought process was to have it all stock appearing for the casual observer. But it sure would be fun to have people confused about what's going on.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I was thinking $350 for everything off the engine and under the hood. TPI intake, intake runners, air chamber, injectors, feul rail, fuel lines, vavle covers, accessory drive brackets, water pump, power steering pump, air pump, belts, pulleys, mounts, brackets, nuts bolts, doodads and thingamajigs, and ttw whole engine side harness.
But I'm open to offers money wise and, picking and choosing parts. Have 2 big boxes, and the entire back of a suburban full of Corvette parts, that I'm happy to get rid of.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
That's good to know about the tuning.

I know there are ways of using a distributor, or variation of one, for the cam sensor. But I have it in my mind that a cam sensor right on the cam gear is a more accurate way of doing it. Whether or not that's true... I can't say for sure. But my mind still wants a sensor in the timing cover, lol.

You have a good point about the coils on the valve covers though. My whole thought process was to have it all stock appearing for the casual observer. But it sure would be fun to have people confused about what's going on.
Look up the distributor an see what is all about, it might change your mind. They work well an are used on lots of high end stuff. If you want to use it on a holley ecu it's plug an play.

You can certainly go with one in the timing cover but they take much more effort to setup an get right in the tune.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Good bookmark here

If your plans don't include anything above a stock type 305/350. I definitely wouldn't run one on the factory pcm these days. There are to many aftermarket alternatives that are way better than the Ole OBD1 stuff. They are a nightmare to try an tune for anything modified, if you can find anyone to do it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK