Tow power opinions *

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tusky

Reaction score
First Name
Jermaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys. I'm new to the site and need as much help as possible. I currently own a fourth gen Z28 that will see car shows and drag strips from time to time.
The reason I'm getting into these trucks is because I can't afford a new 50k truck... I'm from Mississippi and we have tons of square Bodie trucks sitting all over the place on back roads and I plan on scooping me up one real soon from 73-79 model. I'm a LS guy at heart and plan on swapping a LS motor into the truck when I buy one.
Just how much of a motor do I need to tow my car?
I have options... but I want it to be a LS motor cause that's what I know how to work on.
What Rear Gear Would You Recommend?
Transmission will most likely to be a 4L80e.
Truck will more than likely be a 2wd short wheelbase model.
Thanks for the help guys and bear with me cause I'm still learning slowly about these trucks.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Hey guys. I'm new to the site and need as much help as possible. I currently own a fourth gen Z28 that will see car shows and drag strips from time to time.
The reason I'm getting into these trucks is because I can't afford a new 50k truck... I'm from Mississippi and we have tons of square Bodie trucks sitting all over the place on back roads and I plan on scooping me up one real soon from 73-79 model. I'm a LS guy at heart and plan on swapping a LS motor into the truck when I buy one.
Just how much of a motor do I need to tow my car?
I have options... but I want it to be a LS motor cause that's what I know how to work on.
What Rear Gear Would You Recommend?
Transmission will most likely to be a 4L80e.
Truck will more than likely be a 2wd short wheelbase model.
Thanks for the help guys and bear with me cause I'm still learning slowly about these trucks.

If I was going to build it for myself, I'd do a 6.0L LQ4/9, and 4.10s with the 4L80E. I would say 3.73s, but the 4L80E has a crappy first gear for getting a load moving. It's a balancing act. If you are able to regear, you could use a 3.90 gearset for an inbetween-er.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
^ what he said. And I'll add that a Suburban makes a much better tow vehicle than a short-wide. Long wheelbase stability while towing, a secure space for the things you want easy access to, and a natural windbreak for the trailer.

Tusky

Reaction score
First Name
Jermaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I didn't know that about the 4L80e transmission....
Man that's not good about the first gear. If the car is ever loaded on a trailer that mean I'm going a long way from home or I'm having problems with the car.
I doubt if I buy a suburban cause around here those are rare!!
On the other hand it's hard for me to bite the bullet and buy a long wheel base. My boss did they are more stable tho while towing. I just never cared for how they look. I do plan on towing up to the LS fest once a year which is a 5-6 hour drive. Most of the time I plan on throwing my slicks, Jack, tire tool in the bed of the truck and (swapping over the tires) having someone trail me to the track so I can run a cool (1/8 mile) 6 sec all motor pass with my 6 speed and drive my camaro back home.
Thanks for letting me know about the 4L80e.....
I don't really know much about auto transmissions but the truck my at be auto due to everyone can't drive a stick I know.

Will a small cam help me tow in a LQ4/LQ9?
How about a stall designed for towing?
I do plan on installing headers and getting a custom tune.

Thanks again.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It would be nice if you could find someone with a shortbed that would let you do a test tow with your trailer before you invest a lot of time and money into it. One of the scariest rides I've ever had in a vehicle was riding in a friend's lifted shortbed towing his 28' cabin cruiser. Too much boat and not enough truck, we should have died.

Tusky

Reaction score
First Name
Jermaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Skysurfer, how much weight was that boat?
The trailer is a 18 ft hauler that weighs 1800 lbs and the car is around 3400 lbs.....

So I'll be pulling 5500lb max.....

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I don't remember since it wasn't my rig. It was a Bayliner from sometime in the early 80's I'm guessing, it was a lot of boat. That was the day I understood the expression "the tail wagging the dog." We never got over 50 mph and it still scared the **** out of us.

Tusky

Reaction score
First Name
Jermaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a quick question... In 1978 what did GM rate a C10 equipped with a 350ci/turbo 350 to tow ?
Just wondering..... These new trucks is out of my cost of living.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Not sure about earlier years or half tons but my '86 3/4 ton with heavy duty suspension and brakes with 454 and TH400 was rated at 10,000 lb.

My boat and trailer are around 5500 lb and it tows that great. The boat is 24 ft long. My biggest concern is braking. The boat trailer has surge brakes and I've had a couple of scary panic stops. And my truck has the huge 13 inch drums.

I agree that I wouldn't want a short bed to do any serious hauling.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You need to consider the entire trip, not just stopping. Your trailer should be tandem axle, hopefully with discs on both. A good controller, like the Prodigy, can handle the trailer and keep it in line under hard braking.

A longer wheelbase tow vehicle is inherently more stable and less likly to wander in the lanes. Crosswinds, passing tractor trailers, and emergency avoidance maneuvers are going to be easier with a longer, heavier truck. Trying to keep an unstable rig between the lines for hours on end is exhausting.

I'm curious, you already have the race car and trailer. So what are you towing with now?

Tusky

Reaction score
First Name
Jermaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm not towing the car right now at all but looking forward to. I'm not trying to go buy a new truck that'll run me 700 plus bucks a month..
I just might have to bite the bullet and buy a long wheelbase truck.
I have seen guys tow with Rangers and S10 trucks but im definitely not going to do that.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Another thing to consider too... If you insist on LS power, I would look for a 99+ GM truck. As much as I love my square, a newer truck has better chassis and brakes stock. And you could get an extended cab so you don't have that long box look but you will have the extra length. You should be able to pick up a nice one for the same price as buying a squarebody and doing an LS swap.

chevyman82

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I've pulled cars with many different trucks and trailers, longbed shortbed extended cab old school new school trucks. by far the worst pulling trucks are shortbeds in my experience. I know shortbeds look cooler but the doesn't help you at the bottom of a hill jacked knifed in a ditch. Sounds kinda dumb but there is a fine art to pulling cars believe it or not.

Tusky

Reaction score
First Name
Jermaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Got me really thinking hard..... especially about the 99 + plus year trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wacky