Totaled my truck today-need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Glad to see your okay man, sucks about the truck. Good luck

Chris

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Glad you are okay.....I have to ask though: How in the hell do you miss a big ass DOT truck going 10 MPH with all those lights blinking? Blind corner? Did your drink holder have a little seatbelt for the drink that you had to fasten?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In the second picture on the first page you'll notice the road curves, it's not a blind curve but it's a curve nonetheless. Go around a curve at 70mph and **** comes up real quick, especially a truck moving 10mph in your lane

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Its a damn good thing you crashed the modern truck with crumple zones and an airbag, imagine doing that crazy **** in one of these square bodies!

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Glad to here you walked away, and your family still has you around. I've always told my wife and kids "metal is replaceable, your not" It don't matter what you get from the Insurance Company, Your still alive, and too your family that's all that matters.

As far as you Concussion, I've had three, if you start forgetting little things, like your wife's name, or your daughters name, walk into a room and forget were you are at, go back to the Hospital.

I have State Farm, about three years ago my oldest daughter had an rear end accident, her car was hit in the right rear, they (State Farm) totaled it. It shocked the **** out of me, I thought it was fixable. I owed 3800 on it, and it was worth 5300, and that's what they paid was 5300. So it paid off the car, and gave her another down payment on the Toyota she is driving now.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good to hear Shawn. And thanks for the health tip also. I've learned 2 things in the last several years about car accidents.

1. Always call the police no matter how small.
2. Always go to the hospital, especially if it was a big wreck. If it was a small one then at least get checked over by someone at the scene.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Good to hear Shawn. And thanks for the health tip also. I've learned 2 things in the last several years about car accidents.

1. Always call the police no matter how small.
2. Always go to the hospital, especially if it was a big wreck. If it was a small one then at least get checked over by someone at the scene.

And DOT should have that last truck dropping flares, like they do here...would have changed the outcome. Again, glad your ok, and can`t wait to see your new ride, whenever you decide what it will be. My vote is for the black extended cab.

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
And DOT should have that last truck dropping flares, like they do here...would have changed the outcome. Again, glad your ok, and can`t wait to see your new ride, whenever you decide what it will be. My vote is for the black extended cab.

This month a year ago I was out sweeping a shoulder and got hit by a car.

I worked for the county road department and was supposed to have signs and traffic control in place but instead was told to just go do it. You cant always count on these guys giving advanced warning of where they will be in relation to your vehicles path.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here she sits at the wrecker yard. At least they tarped the broken windows
You must be registered for see images attach

Smoothie all over the windshield lol

Got some beat up parts to remember her by

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn, glad you OK. Sure glad you weren't in your square. You wouldn't have walked away for the main thing, but your square isn't likley able to be replaced now days and insurance wouldn't give you **** for it. With State Farm, you'll do fine on your value, and it will be fair. That's been my experience anyway with them and other people I know. Do watch out for the concussion symtoms though. You do have the symtoms of a concussion no matter how small it might be.

I can't beleive the tow company didn't have a damn roll back and used a convential with dollys. I towed one with the rear end ripped out of it like yours with that recent job. I had to chain and strap the rear end to the front of the truck to keep it from coming more out from under the truck to get it up the rollback but its much eaiser than dollys, and even those dollys could have allowed the rear end to walk away from the truck unless they chained and starped the rear end to the truck. No doubt its totaled. Even if the damage was not that bad, you blow 1 air bag its totalled. Was someone with you? I noticed the passenger side air bag blew too. Usually on Genreation 2 and above airbags, 40lbs or more must have been detected in the seat for the airbag to go off.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks. Heres my last wreck.

That WAS a nice truck too. Also looks like another freeway accident. Buddy, you need to be training your subconcious mind. I don't even think about it anymore, it just happens, but I am looking up close for what's directly in front of me, but also scanning 1/2 mile or so in front of me for potential hazards. It just becomes 2nd nature if you concentrate on it for a short while. Careful dude. :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The auto insurance companies go by black book value which is half of what KBB values vehicles at.

Depends on the age of the vehicle what they use. In fact around here, black book is LESS than both KBB and NADA. KBB and NADA are usually within what banks will loan to value and use. Black Book is what the vehicles are selling for at the auctions to dealerships. Black Books are what dealerships use to appraise your trade in. That's why they are so low. This way the dealers know what they are selling for at auctions, and they try to buy it for even less than what they'd pay at auction. Then when they sell it, they'll use NADA so they know what the bank will loan. Insurance Co should be pay NADA value on this one, and will likely take the high figure cuz of mods and good condition.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Damn man!!

Glad you see you made it through that and here to tell us about that!

That looked like it was an insane ride.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How's the headache, vision and naseua this morning 1low??? I'd imagine you probably found some other sore spots this morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MIDWESTCUSTOMS