Tools are on order!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
James, why go with an air saw, just out of curiosity? A right angle grinder with a cut-off wheel will go through spring bolts (and shackles LOL) with no trouble, and does double duty as a rust remover with a wire wheel. A good one, (Dewalt) will set you back 80 bux at Costco. And if you are as dumb as me, you can grind some skin off your arm with a rust remover disc!

I used a die grinder to cut the bolts for the front springs and it was more work than it's worth. The air saw will fit right in there and I won't have to worry about the occasional rotational kick back.

I swear, every time I work on my Square Body I end up breaking tools. The majority of my hand tools are all Craftsman because when they were bought they were the most reliable and affordable brand around. Here, you can only buy Mac or Snap On online or off the truck if you work for a garage that they stop at.

Most of my air tools are CH brand. I've only had one complete failure when the bearing in my DA seized and turn it into a grinder while doing some prep work.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Most of mine are Craftsman, because I bought them way back in the early 80's when they still had good warranty. Most of my wreches say Forged in USA on them, but beleive it or not, I have some that say Forged in Japan, and thats about when I started thinking twice about Craftsman tools. The Forged in Japan things didn't last long though. It hurt them so bad, they came back to USA within a year.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
i have had one of the japan wrenches. Quite honestly, it was better quality than what Danaher puts out today.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I bought the big Craftsman socket set from Home Depot last year (black ones) and am more than satisfied with them. The only complaint is the black finish, they look different and cool but if you leave them in the sun to long the tools are searing hot and burn the **** out of your hands. Under 200 bucks was not bad for a good set of 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 drive.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i have had one of the japan wrenches. Quite honestly, it was better quality than what Danaher puts out today.
You are right. The quality wasn't bad, it was still Craftsman quality, but I think people and myself, sure thought twice after seeing Forged in Japan. Although I have seen some newer Craftsman items at my neighbors house, some ratcheting thin boxed end wrenches with a nice looking Snap On look alike finish that look to be pretty good. It would be great is Craftsman makes a come back. I always thought they were a much better price point and decent quality where Snap On, Mac, and Matco, although very good tools, were way overpriced. And I like the idea I could go to the local Sears and swap a tool now or go buy a decent tool now, and I didn't have to wait for the Snap On or Matco Rep to come by, give him my broke stuff, then wait another week for him to bring it back to me. It appears Lowes Kobalt brand is a good product, and I hear Husky brand is fairly good too. Don't have any though.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You are right. The quality wasn't bad, it was still Craftsman quality, but I think people and myself, sure thought twice after seeing Forged in Japan. Although I have seen some newer Craftsman items at my neighbors house, some ratcheting thin boxed end wrenches with a nice looking Snap On look alike finish that look to be pretty good. It would be great is Craftsman makes a come back. I always thought they were a much better price point and decent quality where Snap On, Mac, and Matco, although very good tools, were way overpriced. And I like the idea I could go to the local Sears and swap a tool now or go buy a decent tool now, and I didn't have to wait for the Snap On or Matco Rep to come by, give him my broke stuff, then wait another week for him to bring it back to me. It appears Lowes Kobalt brand is a good product, and I hear Husky brand is fairly good too. Don't have any though.

Many of C-Man's newer wrenches like the spline wrenches are made in China. As for the ratcheting wrenches, they are the same as Matco.

Kobalt and Craftsman are made by Danaher Corp. They are made on the same assembly line as Matco. Just the matcos are heat treated for like 10 seconds longer.

I have a Kobalt socket that was stamped "craftsman" and then stamped Kobalt!!

As for Husky, Stanley owns them. The black finish tools are also sold off the Mac truck.

As long as Danaher owns Craftsman, don't expect that comeback. Unfortunately. :(

Most of my Craftsman tools are older than myself at 33. I routinely go to the local pawn shops and dig through the bins for vintage Craftsman tools. I collect them. I have many ranging around from 1930 to 1970.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
HD sells Craftsman??

This was my exact thought as I was reading through this thread!! I was like, since when did Sears and HD team together?? :D

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Which reminds me, I need to run to HD for weed trimmer string and an ignitor for my potato cannon. :D

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
OK, so who is still considered a quality manufacturer of hand tools?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Armstrong, Wright, Proto and of course Snap On if you want to pay a premium.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Thanks MrGM for the info on the jack and jack stands, I'll go with the 6 ton. Lots of good info in this thread, I hate buying stuff that's built in other countries but it's hard to find anything made in America anymore it seems lol. I'd buy Snap-On if I could afford it, my tool set is a Stanley from Wal-Mart, never payed attention but I'm sure they're made overseas or hecho en mexico.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're right GC, and we wonder why our unemployment rate is so high, and our economy is jacked. Blame it on the greedy jerks with plenty of money wearing suits and ties sitting around a large conferance table making decisions to outsource our jobs to other countries so they can put an extra $50K in their own pocket with extra profits for lower quality products as if their $200K salary isn't enough. Gotta get those bonuses too ya know. Its all greed and about the almighty dollar. The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. The NEW american way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody