To PCV or not to PCV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
What's your opinion on PCV, and does really extend your engine life? And more importantly does it Impove you HP?

My opinion, I don't know that's why I'm asking!!!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If I understand the PCV system correctly, it uses engine vacuum to pull crank case air pressure from the crank case. This pressure is counter productive to piston movement. That’s why race engines have vacuum pumps to create negative pressure in the block. In typing this I’m sure the PCV system has more to do with emissions crap then anything but negative pressure in the crank case is good positive not so much. Also if your system isn’t working properly oil can shoot out of the dipstick. Lol @RustyPile or @74 Shortbed could probably explain it better.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
PCV system is a closed system, for it to work properly it also needs a hose from the valve cover on the opposite side to the air filter housing, manifold vacuum pulls air from the crankcase through the PCV valve into the engine, when vacuum goes away the valve closes and venturi vacuum takes over and pulls air from the other valve cover, this way all crankcase air goes back into the engine instead of the environment, and yes it is the first emissions setup, anyone remember the old draft tube spewing **** all over the place, not quite EPA friendly, lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Seen that, seems like a pretty good setup.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
If I understand the PCV system correctly, it uses engine vacuum to pull crank case air pressure from the crank case. This pressure is counter productive to piston movement. That’s why race engines have vacuum pumps to create negative pressure in the block. In typing this I’m sure the PCV system has more to do with emissions crap then anything but negative pressure in the crank case is good positive not so much. Also if your system isn’t working properly oil can shoot out of the dipstick. Lol @RustyPile or @74 Shortbed could probably explain it better.
Do I need it?

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Not mandatory unless you have to have emissions inspection, but it helps keep things clean..
Emissions........:banghead::biggun::boxed::disgust::doublepuke::Frustrated::Rant::Rant::Rant:.....I hate those stupid things!!!!!! Thankfully they don't require that here.

does anyone truly believe in global warming?

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
PCV also helps the oil last longer by sucking all the impurities out of the crank case. Those impurities are mainly what gets past the rings - exhaust. How long do you think good clean motor oil is going to last if you're blowing exhaust onto it all day? Ever see a buggered tail pipe allow the exhaust gasses to corrode the paint off the fender? Sucking that crap out of there is good for the oil; it's good for the engine.

It also, like almost all emission control devices, shuts off when you need full power at wide open throttle.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
PCV is not necessarily and emissions device. They way they are set up now is more environmentally friendly in that you are not venting your crankcase to atmosphere. I believe a properly functioning PCV system is important to an engine but I dont like the idea of sucking in crankcase vapors and oily residue through my intake. I would run a catch can.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
PCV is not necessarily and emissions device. .
It was when it first came out, it was to prevent all the vapors and oil residue from going out the draft tube in the air and on the road..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think there are some good points here for both sides. If I were revamping my emissions setup, I'd keep the PCV and the EGR, at least on an ECM vehicle. No EGR if it was a non-ECM vehicle. The only one who I actually value its presence is the charcoal canister. I don't like the smell of gas vapors lingering around my vehicle, and its very maintenance free if you don't overfill your fuel tank. The rest of it can go, especially the smog pump and all those little switches and valves.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Emissions........:banghead::biggun::boxed::disgust::doublepuke::Frustrated::Rant::Rant::Rant:.....I hate those stupid things!!!!!! Thankfully they don't require that here.

does anyone truly believe in global warming?
I believe in global warming. Every spring when the days get longer the climate warms up. By June it's freaking hot out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub