Ls swap or not?

Do I Ls swap or not?

• Ls swap

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Don't Ls swap

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmcm78

Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I've got a 1984 c10 short bed Custom Deluxe. It has what seems like to me some more unusual options on it. First off it's got the good ole 6.2 diesel and 700r4 drivetrain which is a little unusual for a short bed. It also has factory air, full gauge cluster(possibly because of the diesel engine) and the interior has carpet floors and kick panels. When I bought it, the truck had been sitting for years and for the most part unmolested. I have since got it running, freshened up the interior and lowered the truck with 18 inch wheels. It runs and drives great and I drive it a couple times a week and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. With all that being said the power from the 6.2 is less than impressive. I am currently preparing an ls swap for the truck but I'm hesitating a little bit because of the trucks options and hearing my dad in the back of my head saying "if it's not broke don't fix it". In your all's professional enthusiast opinions what would you do? Ls swap or leave diesel alone and find another truck for a swap? Thanks for your time and opinion

Attachments

• 20211226_162548.jpg
    20211226_162548.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 64

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
If the truck runs good, leave it be. A 6.2 shorty is also kind of neat in that of itself . LS swaps are pretty popular fad (for a good reason) but they're not a drop-in affair like a later SBC would be. They're only economically viable if you do all the work yourself, buy the parts insanely cheap and have enough knowledge of basic fabrication, and don't have to buy all the pre-made mounts and bracketry.

If you absolutely hate the diesel, I'd suggest finding a L31/4L60 combo. It's a pretty much a bolt-in swap, unlike the LS has a decent amount of power.

Gmcm78

Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm a mechanic/fabricator by trade so I have the skills for the swap and am able to make all the bracketry I need. I guess my question should have been "is the truck any more valuable or rare because of the options?"

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I plan on an LS swap and have done it before, but I'd say add a turbo instead to your diesel. I think the 6.2 is cool, especially in a setup like you have. Just do some updating to the later 6.5 parts and/or find a Banks kit?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
While the truck is pretty neat being optioned that way, the truck will be far more valuable with a well done LS swap IMO. I LS swapped my '85 about 3 years ago and have zero regrets, it's so much more enjoyable than a small block could ever be, let alone a gutless 6.2

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
For me it Depends on what you want out of it and how it all feels. however I'd be more inclined to a small block over LS for personal reasons. The LS is still a pretty good and I like that there pushrod and everything. And I'm helping my dad do one because it's what he wants. I like the 6.2s also. Weak on power without turbo but milage is good and there fun too.

Gmcm78

Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Adding a turbo or another diesel swap is something i have considered. I bought a wrecked truck with 5.3 and new 4l60e in it already. I agree with what Totallyhucked said though. I think it will def increase the value more and it will be more reliable as well. Something I can turn the wife and kids loose in if they want to cruise to town. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming

Gmcm78

Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I do like the 20 or so mpg too with the diesel as well. Tough decision for me really

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you absolutely hate the diesel, I'd suggest finding a L31/4L60 combo. It's a pretty much a bolt-in swap, unlike the LS has a decent amount of power.

IDK man... The L31 swap can get involved or expensive too, the crossover to EFI with in tank pumps, fuel return lines, custom harnesses and PCM re-flashing is more difficult than most of the physical stuff like motor mounts. I did the L31/4L60E swap because my dad had flipped a bunch of GMT400 trucks in the past few years and he had piles of parts which reduced the cost immensely.

Some general costs associated with the EFI swap (prices are approximate & from 18 months ago)
'87 fuel tanks with internal baffling $141 each
Sending units set up for pumps and return lines $92 for one side & $126 for the other
Carter pumps $46 each
Tank switch valve $67
Fuel lines and associated fittings $180ish (I did all Earls vaporgaurd stuff so can be done cheaper)
O2 sensor bungs for exhaust $8 each

PCM $35 junkyard
Pigtails $20 ebay
Flash $100
Pinout diagram $20

Engine and Transmission harness - no cost except 3 weekends labor for 2 people and a donor harness from a late model.
Injectors, O2 sensors, MAF, TPS, ECT, Ign module, Coil, VSS were all used & free

My L31 short block was $700 (unassembled on craigslist)
Heads free
plugs free
Gaskets $150
Timing set $20
Oil pump $35
Wires, cap & rotor $140

Hoses, belts, accessory brackets, A/C lines & fittings, different alternator, different PS pump, different starter, the "E" transmissions may not be capable of working with your stock speedometer... The list goes on & on.

So I've got a 1984 c10 short bed Custom Deluxe. It has what seems like to me some more unusual options on it. First off it's got the good ole 6.2 diesel and 700r4 drivetrain which is a little unusual for a short bed. It also has factory air, full gauge cluster(possibly because of the diesel engine) and the interior has carpet floors and kick panels. When I bought it, the truck had been sitting for years and for the most part unmolested. I have since got it running, freshened up the interior and lowered the truck with 18 inch wheels. It runs and drives great and I drive it a couple times a week and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. With all that being said the power from the 6.2 is less than impressive. I am currently preparing an ls swap for the truck but I'm hesitating a little bit because of the trucks options and hearing my dad in the back of my head saying "if it's not broke don't fix it". In your all's professional enthusiast opinions what would you do? Ls swap or leave diesel alone and find another truck for a swap? Thanks for your time and opinion

Do your homework and make your own decision, it's your truck, your money, and your time.

I think LS swaps are cool but there's a lot more involved in swapping to EFI than some assume.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I do like the 20 or so mpg too with the diesel as well. Tough decision for me really
Adding a turbo or another diesel swap is something i have considered. I bought a wrecked truck with 5.3 and new 4l60e in it already. I agree with what Totallyhucked said though. I think it will def increase the value more and it will be more reliable as well. Something I can turn the wife and kids loose in if they want to cruise to town. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming

I think you have your answer then: Buy a second truck (Blazer, Suburban?) for the LS swap and the family, and turbo the 6.2 in your truck to keep the mileage and gain the power. All problems solved, except the credit card bill :)

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
My turbo 6.2 is tired but still will smoke the tires lol

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
My truck is roughly 425hp with a 4L65 and a 3.90 gear. I've got ~27k miles on the swap and on roadtrips, as long as I keep it below 80, I regularly see 20mpg. Mine's an aluminum 5.3 with 799 heads, 10.5:1 compression, a BTR stage 4 V2 truck cam and a 3000 stall converter. Other friends of mine with LM7s/4L60s and 3.73s see about the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko