To Bare Metal or Not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am restoring a 83 C10, and there isn't must rust on truck left, replaced cab corners, rocker panels . The fenders and bed don't have much rust just were paint got scratches. It though has about 2 different paint coats, do I need to take it to bare metal or just feather out spots and repaint

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I went to bare metal on mine because it'd been painted previously at least once and not well at that.

HAZZARDJOHN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Unless it is laquer it shouldn't be that hard to strip. I would, because the little extra effort now will pay off huge in the end when you have peace of mind.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
if it only had the original paint I would just feather it and paint

but with a couple paint jobs on it you never know how good of prep work they done and it may cause problems

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
How would you go about stripping would you use a chemical, or sand to bare, any suggestions would be helpful

tnsser

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Remove with a grinder and paint removal pad. I wouldn't use chemicals unless it is lac
quer.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I went to AutoZone and picked up a wheel of sorts that is for stripping paint. I'll have to see if I can locate a link but it just attached to a drill and I went to town.

EDIT: I found a link to what I used. You can find these at almost any auto parts store but this will at least give you a part and a part number to give you an idea...
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/3M...2EXZ5&ef_id=UaZfQgAABb8-WgT-:20130905142430:s

I used probably a handful of those for the entire truck.

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would agree with taking it to bare metal. Unless... you know for sure the kind of paint you plan to use will be compatible with what is currently on the truck. If are a guarantee compatible, I would just scuff the existing paint and paint over it. You will be safer totally stripping it, but you will also find all of the trucks hidden previous body sins when you strip it down.

I just read you are restoring it. In that case, I say for sure take it to bare metal. If your truck does have previous shoddy body work, you want to take care of it correctly now so it doesn't come back to bite you later in the restore.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Not sure if the '83s had that electrostatic primer or not. If so, I would definitely go down to bare metai.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I am restoring a 83 C10, and there isn't must rust on truck left, replaced cab corners, rocker panels . The fenders and bed don't have much rust just were paint got scratches. It though has about 2 different paint coats, do I need to take it to bare metal or just feather out spots and repaint

Im not a pro in any respect,, but ive done many vettes,, camero's and trucks body work,, even though i hate it,, im a perfectionist........

But id never take a vehicle down to mettle,, except for fixing rust,, dents or repair panel's,, bondo wont stick to pre paint,, only bare 36 grit mettle,, as far as paint goes id only go down to the factory color/primer/sealer......

if ya go all the way to mettle? then use a sealer,, color sand it,, then prime it heavy,, color sand it again,, then shoot what ever of your liking....

im a laqure fan,, its patchable,, color sandable,, and buff-able, but its not dust friendly,, ya will see spyderwebs, amoron is a one shot paint, really tough, but not patch able if chiped,, its an epoxy paint,, im not to fond of enamel because of the orange-peel and not buffer/color sandable friendly,, but more scratch resistant than laqure......

like i said,, I aint a pro!,, but the few cars/trucks i have done have been to shows and got 95 out of 100 points for body work and paint,, and that was at the Dallas car show many years ago "81" and a 63 split window vette at the Santa Clara county Fair grounds cars show in San Jose Calif "87".....

A laqure black 67 ss camero........ i got the trophie someplace in a box the 63 split window was done in RED....

just my 2C.............

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I plan on priming and sealing no matter how far I go and using a bc/cc, just did not know if it was only only small spots to go to bare metal, still deciding

Prof GMC

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I agree with Tyger, I have done my share of paint and body work also. No need to take the entire truck down to metal. If the panel looks good, and has been painted for some extended period of time, odds are that is was prepped properly to begin with. If you want to make the truck laser straight, block sand the entire truck. That will show you your low spots. Once you find the low spot, dig a little deeper and see what you find in that area. If you find filler, get rid of all of it, and refill with new body filler. Never ever put filler over old filler. Like Tyger said, "use 36 grit". After you get the body where you like it, shoot it with high build primer, and block sand until your tired of block sanding. I also like lacquer base coat/ clear coat. Remember that you yourself is normally the worst critic. If you make the paint job satisfy you, then it will knock the socks off everybody else. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising