Tires and Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pat_27

Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
K/20
Engine Size
Hello to all you square body truck owners
I have a 1985 K/20 4x4 Long box it sits up pretty high now went to Belle tire to get an estimate on wheels and tires they said that the truck was too old that I would have to bring it in to get proper size anybody know how big a tire I can go with for a standard height four wheel drive in with the wheels have to be positive or negative because I don't want them sticking out too far please help if you can. Would like to go with the tallest and widest tire possible without screwing up the fenders thank you

Last edited:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
On my k10, I fit 32x10.5R15 on 15x10" rims with about 4" backspacing. Had no rub whatsoever. 33x11.50 on the same rim rubbed on turns going through dips.

You should clear a 31" tire on just about any rim. 32's should be good as well, but 33's will probably rub a little depending on your rim

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Not sure what you have now, but on a stock truck you should be able to fit a 16x8" wheels with a LT285/75R16 without hitting the fenders. Stock is a LT235/85R16. The K30 pictured in my avitar has a 16x6.5" wheel with LT265/75R16 tires.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
http://www.offroaders.com/mud-tire-reviews/tire-size-guide-does-it-hit-or-fit/

You didnt say how wide the wheel is ....but you want new ones? Why does it have to be offset one way or the other? It doesn't.
In my experience, a 7 inch wide wheel provides the truest actual height compared to what the tire says. You lose actual height based on how WIDE the wheel is....

I think thats funny.. "we dont actually KNOW anything about trucks, or tires, and our COMPUTER doesnt go back that far , therefor your truck is TOO OLD.. I drive a Honda." Run. Like the common-core curriculum genius that's workin at macdonals and cant give you change unless the COMPUTER tell her how much to pay.
Id look real hard at someplace else. I would NOT buy truck tires for a square body from some pimply-faced ******* kid, MUCH LESS let him touch my truck!

I have 33x12.50 on 8 x15 with a two inch lift (about) and no rub. The 33s measure out 32.5 on the 8s.
Ima switch to 35x12.50 with 10x15s and its not gonna rub because the 35s will only measure out to be 33s...on a 10 inch wheel.
(About....) Ill add zero rates if it does .
I had 31x11.50 on 10s and they were 30.5 tall.

Last edited:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Disregarding under/oversizing of tires by the manufacturers:

Narrow rims (7" rim on a x12.5" tire) will bow the tread slightly which will increase the height slightly, but make the overall tread width a little narrower since the sidewalls are sucked in. Little more difficult to mount, but harder to lose the bead as well.

Wide rims (10" wide on a x12.5" tire) doesn't really bow the tread which should make it run "truer" to the stated size, sidewalls will run closer to vertical.

Too wide of rims (ex. 14" wide on a x12.5" tire) will stretch the tire and greatly decrease the overall tire height as well as greatly increasing the risk of losing the bead.

Backspacing is a key factor as well. Too much and the wheel will be sucked way in and you'll have issues rubbing on frame. Too little and you'll be pushed way out and hitting fenders left and right.

Take the tire/wheel combo on yours at the moment and measure it at full lock and see how much space you've got and that'll tell you how much you can go before you'll make contact at ride height. Then you need to factor in the movement of the wheels as the suspension compresses.

http://www.offroaders.com/mud-tire-reviews/tire-size-guide-does-it-hit-or-fit/

You didnt say how wide the wheel is ....but you want new ones? Why does it have to be offset one way or the other? It doesn't.
In my experience, a 7 inch wude wheel provides the truest actual height compared to what the tire says. You lose actual height based on how WIDE the wheel is....

I have 33x12.50 on 8 x15 with a two inch lift (about) and no rub. The 33s measure out 32.5 on the 8s.
Ima switch to 35x12.50 with 10x15s and its not gonna rub because the 35s will only measure out to be 33s...on a 10 inch wheel.
(About....) Ill add zero rates if it does .
I had 31x11.50 on 10s and they were 30.5 tall.

Rusty, I'm running 35x12.5R15 BFG KO2's on a set of 15x10" with about 4" bs. I rub on full turns while flexing/hitting steep driveways and I'm at about 4.5-5" of lift.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Meh.
Somebody buy these '77 Jimmy 15x10 wagons from me, I REALLY dont like them.
If they stick around very long ima toss 35s on and jack the truck to match.

My desire is to offer some of my experience to help the OP make a well-informed purchase. This is a great site with many friendly, knowledgeable members... Hopefully we can show there are too many variables to be able to ask such a blanket question and get an answer that is 100% correct.

31s are the easy route but that COULD leave a LOT of tire "on the table" and is hella vanilla. I dont want anything to do with 31s lol. Am i bein a dick? Not tryin to be...
Real world sounds different than in the studio

[yt]C8-UXN_CYAY[/yt]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1