Timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you still have the stock low-compression pistons, you should be able to run 10-12* advanced.

One of my Camaros had a 350 w/305 heads when I bought it. The PO thought (and also told me) it was a rebuilt 305. It felt strong and wasn't a bad motor at all. I ended up pulling it later on, and that's when I found out it was a GM crate 350 shortblock with late 70's 305 heads, although they were ported and polished.

Anyway, I'm not really sure why everyone always knocks this combo. For a poorboy just using what he already has, it's not a bad setup, IMHO.

For a poorboy using what he has they are good. Past that, I only knock it because you hear of some who THINK they know what they are talkiing about, to go FIND AND BUY a set of 305 heads for your 350, that it raises compression and makes a ton of horsepower. WRONG. It will increase compression and will ONLY make low end torque, not horsepower, and they run out of breath at low rpm. They are NOT a high performance good option. Great for maybe an RV cam pickup that is pulling a heavy trailer and that's about it. And if you're truck is geared to low, they really won't perform well since at rpm over about 2000, they're done making good power. Sure they will work, and they will run with a little grunt, but with the small runners, small valves many times, your ONLY advantage is a raise in compression and many times have to retard the timing taking away even more power than you gained due to detonation. Use them if that's what you have, but not for a street/strip rig. Street/Strip rig needs to be able to breathe good at 4000 and higher rpm depending on your cam choice.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
This is not for a street/strip its for my k10

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is not for a street/strip its for my k10

Its not bad for your truck, especially a 4x4 looking for some low end grunt at low rpm. They will work fine for you. Did you ever get your timing where you like it???

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
'i got it set a 6 degrees thats where it starta good without dragging still seems doggish but i think it trash in my carb or baf plugs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Villano