Time for some maintanance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the square is holding it's own for now so the SS is in line for some TLC.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is my one owner 95 SS that I bought new in July of 1995. It's well past 199k miles now and I'm slowly trying to take care of some issues that have mounted up over time. Right now I have all the door panels off replacing window roller guides, broken switches, and cracked broken door panels. Drivers door panel cracked and broken so bad I had to locate a used replacement. To get one in better shape than what i had was a $350.00 pill I had to swallow:bawl: . Once the doors are done the dash is next as the sun has really worked on it over the past 19 years. Luckily it is not cracked so a good SEM paint job should be sufficient. Then I have to turn to the engine bay. Ready for it's third waterpump which is already sitting in the garage.

I have been looking at the 2014 SS and slobbering over it a little bit. But at $45,000, my old SS is looking better and better. In reality, I enjoy driving my 85 square as much as I do driving my 05 Titan. Of course if the air worked on the 85 it would be no contest. Same with the SS, I have a 99 Corvette for my fix when I need to row some gears, but I still love the SS for zooming down the interstate or the back roads.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Was that $350 for a new panel or just a good used one?

And I'd take a nice '94-'96 over a new SS any day!

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was that $350 for a new panel or just a good used one?

And I'd take a nice '94-'96 over a new SS any day!

That was $350.00 for used! No more new ones from GM. Passenger side and rear panels are much cheaper. Prices for any SS specific parts are high for two reasons, not all that many made in the first place and a lot of Caprice clones out there shrinking the supply.

The reason I was looking at the new SS is because the wife needs a new car and she has put most of the miles on our Impala. The SS has all the options she would like to have and the performance I would like to have. I think we will end up with a much more fuel efficient car for her and I'll continue to upgrade and update our Impala. And I agree with your sentiment, from an appearance standpoint I think the 94-96 SS wins hands down.

Forgot to mention, the new SS is subject to the federal gas guzzler tax!! I have an 05 4x4 Titan so I don't need another gas guzzler.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a pain in the ass, the LT1 water pump replacement always makes me think I have to replace drive seal and opti-spark seal. Now I find I'm missing some o rings I need for the opti drive. It's been about 10 years since I had to dig in this far and I forgot some of the small items you need to have on hand.

At least with a car as big as the Impala you have room to work.

That $350.00 door panel, I'm beginning to question my judgement on this purchase:)

I am able to get the car about 2 feet in the air which kept me out of the mess when the antifreeze didn't all go in the pan:whymewhyme:

Hopefully by tomorrow or Saturday I'll have it all back together and running again.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, she's running again. I had to completely disassemble the opti-spark as oil had made it's way into the optical sensor area. I caught it in time, just cleaned all the parts and reassembled. No water pump leaks either! Still more to do but it can now be driven some while repairs continue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77