the viper mistake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Ordered wrong year dakota parts. Waiting for more correct ones. Also went ahead and ordered new rotors and pads. And painted on door handle. All th doo handle does is actuate a mini switch. They could have just made a button like a c6 corvette instead. Went in to a door handle because passenger side window stopped going up.
You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
And door window mechanism is apart.
Originally I thought door panels were not fitted correctly because window motors were replaced. But looks like all they did are speakers and window motors are original

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Was getting 12v at the connector but must be a bad wire or switch. Regulator works fine outside the door. Plug in to the connector and up does not work

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
The issue with the window is likely in the switch because it reverses polarity as there is no other ground in the door it self. But decided to check the wiring. And then as couple of wires were bad decided to replace all wires that run through the hinge area. That i where pieces of the corvette come in. Unfortunately most of the exact same color wires are 20awg in the corvette instead of 18awg that i need. Some colors will not match exactly

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
New window switches are actually available, but cleaning the old one a bit for now. Also need to deal with the tie rod ends.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
And door window mechanism is apart.
Originally I thought door panels were not fitted correctly because window motors were replaced. But looks like all they did are speakers and window motors are original

I wish I'd have known you needed that pass window motor because a have s brand new one for the Dakota pass in my garage because I traded it in before I replaced it. Dam the luck. Lol

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
So you had mentioned dodge Dakota parts that have been modified fit the viper? Obviously not all of them im sure.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
So you had mentioned dodge Dakota parts that have been modified fit the viper? Obviously not all of them im sure.
Hubs, inner/outer tie rods, and steering rack. Nylon window support piece is from a van. Winshield wiper motors modified van rear wipers(mechanism same but electronics different) and some other bits. Majority of parts are one off

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Hubs, inner/outer tie rods, and steering rack. Nylon window support piece is from a van. Winshield wiper motors modified van rear wipers(mechanism same but electronics different) and some other bits. Majority of parts are one off

Ah OK.
I figured some of it had to be it's own parts...

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Do those pw have a relay for them? My corvette has similar issues and it is because all of the voltage is ran through the switch adding resistance and connection issues, the easy fix is to add relays for the PW and just use the switch to trigger the relays. Oh and add a ground in each door, stupid common grounding or pw will make both quit working with one ground problem.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
The diff and transmission fluid ended up looking fine. Should have left those alone. Broke a seal on one rear caliper while changing the pads, so now ordered a caliper rebuild kit to put new seals in it. Decided to replace the nylon window guide piece as it is known to brake and waiting for that. Also waiting for some brake fluid to come in for clutch and brake flush. Still have not gotten new inner tierods to retread yet, first one killed a die that i had.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Rebuilt caliper, bled all brakes with new fluid. Need to move on to the steering rack rebuild. Also need to find a new microswhitch for door unlock. Was a regular off the shelf part back in the 90's that dodge just potted the leads to.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Time to figure out the steering rack. It was leaking some originally and the inner tie rods were actually still good. But when doing the brakes it blew the seals out when I turned the wheels without the pump running. Might as well replace the tie rods and do the alignment after it is all back together.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Before the disassembly it was evident that seals literally blew out. Mostly apart now . Was not sure if the black remains was dirt or remains of a seal.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Found the right seal and rack is now in place. Even the steering wheel still pointing straight.
Trans fluid finally filled as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara