The Story of the Jackalope

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackalopeCheyenne

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
Well, where to start. I'm a F@#D guy. I know, I know...that's a curse word in these parts, but here's the story.

Sitting in a bar, my buddy and I would always argue the Ford vs Chevy fight and we all know where that goes. He has a 71 Chevy C20 Camper Special and I had a 01 Ford F-150. Any how, our arguing over what is better ended one day when he bought an 03 Ford Explorer. I laughed and laughed.

Down the road, my fiance and I went to an RV show and bought a Micro Winnie travel trailer. Well, my old Ford could haul it, but it was pushing 300k miles. The old rig was getting tired and brought up reliability issues. So a new truck was in order.

Secretly, I had a passion for the old squarebody Chevy's, but I knew the ol' lady wouldn't go for it, but something happened. We found a truck at the Chevy dealer...and we fell in love with it. It is a 2018 Chevy Silverado converted to have that old school Cheyenne Super 10 (Big 10) look. We bought it off the lot after it was there over a year (and got a good deal on it too).

As time went by, I was still looking for that old truck to restore. I was in the Navy for 20 years, and had an old 81 Bronco, but had to sell it, unfortunately, when I was stationed in Hawaii. Now I'm retired from that and still wanted an old resto project.

I searched Craigslist and all the other want ads online, but only could find 2WD models. I wanted a 4WD. Then it happened. There it was. Canyon City, Oregon...A blue 1973 Chevy Cheyenne K10. Shortbed, some heavy rust spots, but not too much (mainly surface rust), interior...not so great. Seat deteriorated, headliner shot, a bullet hole in the door (PO story...interior shot...Had me in stitches). I wanted it, but the only thing was it was 295 miles away...UGH!

Finally, my fiance said it...okay, lets go. I was ecstatic. So we loaded up "Big Red" rented a car hauler trailer and 5 hours later...a quick test drive...$3000 dollars, I have a rusted up ol' pickup truck.

Well, that is my long winded story of how I got "The Jackalope" also affectionately called "Ol' Blue" (but everybody with old blue trucks are call it that). I call it "The Jackalope" because they are awesome critters from Wyoming that have an affinity for whiskey, and I figure it would be a fitting name for it being a Cheyenne which is also a place in Wyoming and I still, to this day, want to go to Wyoming to pay my tributes to Chris Ledoux, my favorite country artist of all time. God Bless Chris Ledoux.

Oh yeah, and my buddy, remember him? He's extremely jealous because I have two Chevys to his one. And, I'll post pics soon. My other laptop took a fall and I need to transfer stuff to the new one still...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Welcome! Post 'em up when you get the computer stuff ironed out.

One of my favorite memories from 1991 is our laid back country music station, that's all we had in the county of 10,227 square miles and 14,000 people, well they played Garth Brooks "Papa Loved Mama" and then immediately after played Chris LeDoux "Cadillac Ranch". My neighbor's were not very happy because the stereo was cranked to 11 :rocking:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome from GA!
You must be registered for see images attach

Great intro. We need more on the 'bullet hole' story!

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Howdy from Texas! Looking forward to the pics and as Paul Harvey would say "the rest of the story":cheers:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Jon thank you for joining. Converts are always welcome here!

JackalopeCheyenne

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. That better not be the blue K10 I was going to look at.:boxing:
He did say there was another guy that was wanting to look at it. But as the ol' saying goes..."If you ain't first, you're last", lol.

Anyway thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to getting it worked on. I just took out that ol' cruddy dash and working on the instrument panel seeing what I can keep and exchange. The bezel is in good shape, but the silver is rubbing off. The only other issues are a little crack on the back and a hole from a CB transmitter holder. Other than that its in one piece.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Welcome from TX.
First year of the squares, 4wd and short bed; that's hard to find.
We all need pics when you can.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Welcome from the Black Hills of South Dakota. Good story, looking forward to pics.

My granddaughter was over last weekend and asked " did you know jackalopes aren't real? ". Seroiusly? She's 21 years old!
My dad had a jackelope on the entertainment center above our tv! The one local bar had a bunch of them also had tundra bunnies and a hootnannie! I dont have pics and i dont think google would help to prove what they are. Sucks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31