Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Gunmetal grey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option one with silver detail

• Silver with midnight blue pin stripe

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vestale88

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
So they day I started highschool was a nerve racking one. So many new things to do and see, but also, it was the year I was able to get my driver's permit. My father has a 97' c1500 that I learned to drive on, nothing special, but it was fun. I had wanted to find a square project that I could start with my dad, they were a mean looking truck, solid and reliable. A kid a couple years older than me ha one, flat rattle can grey with solid black stripes, but it sounded as though it would rattle apart at any second. I did my research and later I learned that it had the boat anchor of a 6.2L Diesel under the hood. I learned quickly that they got a bad rep from the 5.7L olds diesel, but other than the lack of a turbo and overall horsepower. They were a torque monster and a pretty reliable work horse. So my 16th birthday came around, and after a year of reasearch and planning a project build the kid approached me with the opportunity to buy the truck for 3,000. Obviously, he thought he saw a chance to rip off some stupid kid for a truck worth know more than 1,200 at the time. (He was right, *******.) so my father and I drove it home that night, 3,000 in the hole. The truck had a straight body, very minor surface rust, but pretty well intact. But then we started to find the downsides. The transmission had a loose kickdown, so it damn near broke your neck everytime it shifted, at any speed over 50 the front end felt as though it would cave under your feet, it pulled to the right, HARD. And on top of that, I had a shot rear locker and bald 31x10.5's. Immediately after purchasing the truck, I had the whole front end rebuilt: bearings, tie rod ends, joints, etc. there's another 1500 gone. After that the pull had gone away some, it cruised around 70, and all was well. One day that December I was driving home from my girlfriend at the times home in a snow storm. I was driving through town and I started feeling my rear slipping a little bit. No big deal, I pulled into a gas station, locked it in 4-hi and clattered on down the road. The highway, is where things started going downhill fast. With a faulty transmission not shifting property, bald tires with belts showing, a shot rear differential popping into posi every 15 seconds, and a novice driver all combined on a busy icy free way equals bad things. I was doing about 45, when I came over a hill crest. I let out of the throttle and my wheels dropped hard, causing the truck to slide to one side. I recovered quickly, only to have the differential pop and sling me completely side ways. I slid to a halt, pinned against a steel cable guard rail. I backed out and muttered home. Come to find out it only did minor cosmetic damages, a hole in the grille and a dent in the fender. Time to fix the tranny. Complete rebuild on my 700r4, runs like a dream, actually shifts gears, added a little more power, not much but noticeable. And now, driving home, my wheel sheers the lugs on a 4 lane highway. Come to find out the wheels I had on the truck were too small for the truck. So I went and purchased a set of 15x8 ion alloy aluminum mag wheels, along with 235x75's. There's another 1700 listed. So on my story goes, with new wheels, front end, tranny, and an undying hatred for the first owner, I was pretty well set, until the open differential I had been running for the past year decided she was done. That's okay, 3:08's paired with a 6.2l was comically slow anyways. I found a set of 3:43's out of an 87' k5 with 100,000 on them for 300 bucks. Sold. Had them put in the next day and boy, does a differential make the difference on overall power. After a few minor things wrong after words, breaks, axle seals, window motors; I'm reaching the home stretch in buying paint. 6843.58 dollars later, I don't regret much. Except buying it from some dumb ass kid, for waaaaaay too much. But, it's made a good project, and being almost done with it, I can say now that I love it. It's different, not many people have seen it's engine, and I can say I own a clattering, nasal, oil burning piece of history.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Welcome! That is quite the story there. Nice looking truck.

Vestale88

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Thanks man! Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not voting on the color. I like all the choices, so that's up to you. Welcome aboard. That is quite a lengthy story.

So being that it's a truck in progress, how about firing up a build thread in the Under Construction section? Then you document all your progress, post up pics, and get help and suggestions on the progress. :waytogo:

Vestale88

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Thanks man much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old77