The loud crack of the turn signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That's just what I was envisioning. In my head I was seeing hells 440's, but even something like an HF fog light, that doesn't really put out enough light to be of much use as a fog light would work just fine for corning lamps I'd bet. I'll never do it, but in a dreaming world it would be nice to have them. And while we are at it one of those (or two) mounted to the roof pointed into the bed would sure be nice. I remember back in the 80's my dad had a light bar on his square that clamped to the rain gutter on the roof. He had his CB antenna mounted up there too, so he didn't have to put any holes in his roof at all.
You must be registered for see images attach

If it means anything here is the wiring diagrams for the 1990 olds cornering lamp, it looks like the column turn switch , like the older type you both were discussing, is the same way to get them on a 1983+(whatever year got the new switch thing)

Id think, at least. I could be reading the diagram wrong

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
It would be cool if you rigged that up and the lights were hidden away. Or if they could somehow be merged into the big orange blinker on the side of the fender. Which I may shrink someday, by 50%. Might look better. Have to fill in screw holes though.

Anyway on modern cars they have the cornering lights built into the headlamps. The lenses move like eyes and point towards the direction of the turn. When driving granny's ride I did notice that this was kind of helpful. But I'm not sure how much. I drove all my life without them and never seemed to notice any problems from not having them.

You kind of do the estimation in your head before you turn. You can see what the turn is going to look like while your headlights are still shining on it. And it's all taken care of after that point, you've already seen everything.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It would be cool if you rigged that up and the lights were hidden away. Or if they could somehow be merged into the big orange blinker on the side of the fender. Which I may shrink someday, by 50%. Might look better. Have to fill in screw holes though.

Anyway on modern cars they have the cornering lights built into the headlamps. The lenses move like eyes and point towards the direction of the turn. When driving granny's ride I did notice that this was kind of helpful. But I'm not sure how much. I drove all my life without them and never seemed to notice any problems from not having them.

You kind of do the estimation in your head before you turn. You can see what the turn is going to look like while your headlights are still shining on it. And it's all taken care of after that point, you've already seen everything.

heres my 1999 park avenues headlamp with the cornering light using an amber bulb. part of it was because personally I think it looked nicer, legally nothing is stopping me(Looked into it) and the amber is a little more inviting than a bright white LED to others, while still lighting the turn decently. The lower two bulbs (a 194 to back, a 3157 or whatever to the front) which does "Switch back" like the sidemarker on the square relative to the turn, just mine wrap around bumper so they are "combined"

If you do shrink the lens by 50% I think youd need to make the bulb behind what remains a bright 194 sized one to technically not violate lighting equipment laws, but no one would ever , i hope, pull you over and cite CFR 49 Volume 5 Section 571 Standard 108 LOL

I would think it would be easiest to incorporate the cornering lamp at the bottom of the forward part of the fender on a 1973-1980 so straight below the turn signal but in that area, or in the bumper or immediately to the edges where the bumper stops, or a custom bracket existing somewhere in that area of fender,bumper, core support

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe its just me but I have no owned three different vehicles (currently Volvo XC40) that all have corning lights and they make absolutely no S*H*I*T of difference. I imagine having them on my K20 would prove equally as useless. Something else that sounded like "a good idea at the time".

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Maybe its just me but I have no owned three different vehicles (currently Volvo XC40) that all have corning lights and they make absolutely no S*H*I*T of difference. I imagine having them on my K20 would prove equally as useless. Something else that sounded like "a good idea at the time".
It definitely would depend on how well they truly could cast light, the higher profile of older vehicles combined with body lines and all that easily could make it do nothing.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Agree...
Bout as useless as the mirror lights on my Trailboss. They're like cornering lights but only work when the truck is in park! LOL
Stupid forking idea....

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
i hope, pull you over and cite CFR 49 Volume 5 Section 571 Standard 108 LOL

Seems highly unlikely, as I believe the cop would have to be familiar with the size those were originally supposed to be. At a glance it would fool almost everyone, because it's still there. It's just smaller now.

It's not a small job though, it will require a 3D printer and a good scanner. Because the factory side marker isn't flat, it's curved and it follows the contour of the fender. Although one that's 50% smaller may be able to avoid being curved. And then you'll need plastic that is both UV resistant and vibration resistant. That part might not be a problem, they may have plastic for that already (for the printers)

Then you get to fill in the factory screw holes in the fender. And figure out how to mount these new ones with perfect alignment for the new smaller size. Just shrinking those lights is no small job lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS