The loud crack of the turn signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Ever notice how the turn signal sounds like something is breaking? In newer cars, the turn signal bar usually just makes a "thunk" sound when you signal a turn. But in these old trucks, specifically my 87, the turn signal makes a loud "crack!" or pop sound. It always has. Makes me wonder if that mechanism ever wears out.

Also wanted to ask if anyone ever made this quieter. Maybe blobbing some grease or lube in there would make it sound a bit less harsh? But you might have to take the column apart to get to it.

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
It should just be a small click from the flasher relays. I know some newer cars make the blinking sound, but these old trucks should just be the relay clickin.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
You guys must have not any appreciable hearing loss. Sort of like the guy who hears his ball mount rattling as he's driving down the road. YGBSM!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I think OP is referring to when the signal is first turned on. mine clicks pretty loud also. and just the relay click as it blinks.
You are correct. lol

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
While I wouldn't slather the whole turn signal switch in grease, it won't hurt if a wee bit were applied to where the plastic bits rub when moved. It won't get rid of all the bone breaking sounds but will help it last longer.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ever notice how the turn signal sounds like something is breaking? In newer cars, the turn signal bar usually just makes a "thunk" sound when you signal a turn. But in these old trucks, specifically my 87, the turn signal makes a loud "crack!" or pop sound. It always has. Makes me wonder if that mechanism ever wears out.

Also wanted to ask if anyone ever made this quieter. Maybe blobbing some grease or lube in there would make it sound a bit less harsh? Might have to take the column apart to get to it though.
It's heavy duty... No actually what makes the "crack" or "pop" sound when you initially flip the switch isn't the contacts but it's the.... (how do I describe this best) It's the catch and latch that holds it in the switched on position.

Whatever you do don't go spraying random things in there hoping to help quiet it down. If you tore the column down it would be perfectly fine to put some dielectric grease on pivot points the catch and latch as well as the contacts. I would advise against putting anything in there other than dielectric grease. The reason being is the difficulty and time involved in tearing down the column to replace the turn signal mechanism if something is put in there that causes damage. And don't try to squeeze some in from where the turn signal stalk goes into the column. You'd never get lube where it needs to be and you'd likely have surprise blobs come out at you later.

If it is louder or stiffer than normal, then I'd advise replacement of the switch, again because of the time and difficulty involved in getting in there just to lube it properly. You could always apply a bit of dielectric grease to the new switch so you know it'll be as quiet and easy to operate as possible.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
It's heavy duty... No actually what makes the "crack" or "pop" sound when you initially flip the switch isn't the contacts but it's the.... (how do I describe this best) It's the catch and latch that holds it in the switched on position.

So that's just the way it is, and it would take a modification to make it otherwise. Gotcha. I may put that grease in there someday if I need to work on the column itself.

Next question!

Anyone think it would be a good idea to machine a turn signal bar out of something better? Say high grade aluminum. All the parts, so they're not plastic anymore. When I first got the truck about 14 years ago, the turn signal bar was finished. Chrome flaking off, all the writing rubbed off. I replaced it, but now the chrome is flaking off again.

So how about machining one? Too big of a pain? I'd even do all the little pieces that connect to the chromed part.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So that's just the way it is, and it would take a modification to make it otherwise. Gotcha. I may put that grease in there someday if I need to work on the column itself.

Next question!

Anyone think it would be a good idea to machine a turn signal bar out of something better? Say high grade aluminum. All the parts, so they're not plastic anymore. When I first got the truck about 14 years ago, the turn signal bar was finished. Chrome flaking off, all the writing rubbed off. I replaced it, but now the chrome is flaking off again.

So how about machining one? Too big of a pain? I'd even do all the little pieces that connect to the chromed part.
You said "So that's just the way it is, and it would take a modification to make it otherwise. Gotcha. I may put that grease in there someday if I need to work on the column itself." Well keep in mind I'm not sitting inside your truck, but ya compared a modern car it takes more pressure to move the lever and makes more noise, normally.

As to the turn signal bar well that's up to you if it's a good idea, it's not something that I'd want to pay someone to make given a new non-cruse unit is $25 (which is what my truck uses). Yes, it would look cool, it's just not a good value to me, but that's just my way of thinking and may not be yours. (read I'm not trying to discourage you merely stating my opinion).

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I think those aftermarket steering columns are all aluminum,turn shifter and all.They’re a bit pricey and probably click like original.

I myself like the click.I know my signal is on without taking my eyes off the road.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You can find billet handles.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I am probably too fixated on re-living the '70s and '80s with my Old Truck but that loud, snapping "Click" and the feeling that the turn signal stalk is bending every time I put on my blinker is part of The Experience. In 1977 I remember hearing Dad's brand new Sierra Grande turn signal click loudly when he would put on his blinker. I thought at the time, "That is going to either break or wear out soon!" But it never did.

I love hearing that loud click because that is what these trucks did when they were new. And I will add that too many years of motorcycles, burnt nitrocellulose, an angry wife and working in refineries has killed my hearing. I cannot hear the flasher at all anymore but I still hear that loud click every time I use my turn signal.

I can only assume that a bunch of folks find that noise VERY irritating because they don't use their turn signals here...

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Turn the stereo up. Dynomat the lever and switch. Use a solid state flasher. Buy an EV.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Turn the stereo up. Dynomat the lever and switch. Use a solid state flasher. Buy an EV.
Yes, the Tesla doesn’t click whatsoever. The TS lever also mirrors the gear selector/autopilot lever exactly; which may appeal to one’s OCD as well.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Next question!

The plastic parts of the turn signal switch flex when you operate the switch like springs, so they click. They also insulate the contacts.

A more meaningful upgrade would be to use the signal switch from a similar year Caddie, or another large GM sedan. They have cornering lights. The switch in you truck is the same minus the contacts and wires. You can see in any truck switch where the wires and contacts would be, just empty holes in the switch body. (3 small holes in a row)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito