The loud crack of the turn signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I am probably too fixated on re-living the '70s and '80s with my Old Truck but that loud, snapping "Click" and the feeling that the turn signal stalk is bending every time I put on my blinker is part of The Experience. In 1977 I remember hearing Dad's brand new Sierra Grande turn signal click loudly when he would put on his blinker. I thought at the time, "That is going to either break or wear out soon!" But it never did.

I love hearing that loud click because that is what these trucks did when they were new. And I will add that too many years of motorcycles, burnt nitrocellulose, an angry wife and working in refineries has killed my hearing. I cannot hear the flasher at all anymore but I still hear that loud click every time I use my turn signal.

I can only assume that a bunch of folks find that noise VERY irritating because they don't use their turn signals here...
"I am probably too fixated on re-living the '70s and '80s with my Old Truck" Me too. That wasn't the intention at all when I bought this truck, but I've gone ahead and outfitted it like an old work truck from the 80's might have been. I don't like modern accessories in it or on it, but that's just me.

I don't have any hearing loss but don't really notice the "click" I think I've just tuned it out, because it's normal.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Yes, it would look cool, it's just not a good value to me, but that's just my way of thinking and may not be yours. (read I'm not trying to discourage you merely stating my opinion).

I'm curious to know how you're thinking it would look cool. I was thinking of polishing it to look as close to factory as possible. Maybe you're thinking about leaving a brushed aluminum look?

The plastic parts of the turn signal switch flex when you operate the switch like springs, so they click. They also insulate the contacts.

A more meaningful upgrade would be to use the signal switch from a similar year Caddie, or another large GM sedan. They have cornering lights. The switch in you truck is the same minus the contacts and wires. You can see in any truck switch where the wires and contacts would be, just empty holes in the switch body. (3 small holes in a row)

If the plastic is insulating the contacts then you'd have to line the machined turn signal with plastic on the inside. Might still be doable though.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "cornering" lights though. Closes thing I can think of is side marker lights.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm curious to know how you're thinking it would look cool. I was thinking of polishing it to look as close to factory as possible. Maybe you're thinking about leaving a brushed aluminum look?

If the plastic is insulating the contacts then you'd have to line the machined turn signal with plastic on the inside. Might still be doable though.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "cornering" lights though. Closes thing I can think of is side marker lights.
Yes I assumed you were looking to do it for the brushed aluminum look. If the end goal is polishing it to look as close to factory as possible then I really don't see why you'd bother. I mean you got 14 years out of the plastic one. It's $25 for a non-cruise switch and $60 for one with cruise. So that's $1.78 a year for the non-cruise and $4.28 a year for the one with cruise. You can get them on molded in black and those never flake. Heck you can get just the stalk sheath for $8....

To elaborate on what Wayne was saying, and you were asking what are cornering lights. Lots of the old Cadillacs and even the higher end Oldsmobiles and Buicks had them. What they were was a clear light mounted low down on the fender that came on when you'd flip the signal on to illuminate the side of the road or curb. They did not flash so there was extra wiring in the switches to operate those lights. I had two cars with them and they were pretty neat actually.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Yes I assumed you were looking to do it for the brushed aluminum look. If the end goal is polishing it to look as close to factory as possible then I really don't see why you'd bother. I mean you got 14 years out of the plastic one. It's $25 for a non-cruise switch and $60 for one with cruise. So that's $1.78 a year for the non-cruise and $4.28 a year for the one with cruise. You can get them on molded in black and those never flake. Heck you can get just the stalk sheath for $8....

To elaborate on what Wayne was saying, and you were asking what are cornering lights. Lots of the old Cadillacs and even the higher end Oldsmobiles and Buicks had them. What they were was a clear light mounted low down on the fender that came on when you'd flip the signal on to illuminate the side of the road or curb. They did not flash so there was extra wiring in the switches to operate those lights. I had two cars with them and they were pretty neat actually.

Hmm not sure if those lights would be all that useful in a squarebody truck. As far as I know we never had them, just blinkers on sides of the fenders.

I do intend to install LED's in the bottoms of the doors though. You'd never see them, so the truck would look factory. But when you open the door at night they'll shine on the ground so you can see what you're stepping into.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
If the noise is that loud and annoying turn up the radio and that will help drown it out. Also throw some aluminum cans in the bed...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The plastic parts of the turn signal switch flex when you operate the switch like springs, so they click. They also insulate the contacts.

A more meaningful upgrade would be to use the signal switch from a similar year Caddie, or another large GM sedan. They have cornering lights. The switch in you truck is the same minus the contacts and wires. You can see in any truck switch where the wires and contacts would be, just empty holes in the switch body. (3 small holes in a row)
On a 1983 or 4 whenever they went to the wiper stalk on the turn stalk(cruise too) , my 1990 oldsmobile probably has the kind youre talking. Unless they were different when it was a lonely lever (Unless cruise)
Cornering lamps are nice imo

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

as @SirRobyn0 pointed out, heres a 1990 Olds 88 with cornering lamps, down low in front of the tire
The grill on my 88 looked different but otherwise it's the same and that's just how the light was on my car.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hmm not sure if those lights would be all that useful in a squarebody truck. As far as I know we never had them, just blinkers on sides of the fenders.

I do intend to install LED's in the bottoms of the doors though. You'd never see them, so the truck would look factory. But when you open the door at night they'll shine on the ground so you can see what you're stepping into.
Squarebodies never had corning lights. I don't think anyone suggested that you should add them. IDK who suggested using one that does now, but I think the point was it might have a different sound and feel?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Squarebodies never had corning lights. I don't think anyone suggested that you should add them. IDK who suggested using one that does now, but I think the point was it might have a different sound and feel?
I suggested to add them as an upgrade. Wilhelm talked about a custom made switch. The turn signal switch in the squares before the multi switch all could be upgraded to corning lights. Yes, no squares ever had cornering lights.

Yes you would need to add the lights themselves also.

Custom upgrade with valuable function.

On a 1983 or 4 whenever they went to the wiper stalk on the turn stalk(cruise too) , my 1990 oldsmobile probably has the kind youre talking. Unless they were different when it was a lonely lever (Unless cruise)
Cornering lamps are nice imo

No, I am talking about the squares from 1973 to whatever year had multi-function switches. I guess I was not clear on my explanation.

The early square turn switch has the provision for cornering lights, the wires are just not there. So if you use an early Caddie or other large GM turn signal switch it will fit your square and then you would have cornering lights. The Caddie switch will fit.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I suggested to add them as an upgrade. Wilhelm talked about a custom made switch. The turn signal switch in the squares before the multi switch all could be upgraded to corning lights. Yes, no squares ever had cornering lights.

No, I am talking about the squares from 1973 to whatever year had multi-function switches. I guess I was not clear on my explanation.

The early square turn switch has the provision for cornering lights, the wires are just not there. So if you use an early Caddie or other large GM turn signal switch it will fit your square and then you would have cornering lights. The Caddie switch will fit.
I wonder how the multifunction type switch kind worked, the column "switch" like in the column likely wasnt different, or at least would make sense to me. Since the multifunction stuff is just like 5 wires.
Well, no, I suppose the flash to pass and the high beam moving to the switch made that switch different, If I had to guess

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Sorry about the late response. Cornering lights on virtually any car or truck is pretty useful. I wonder if a guy could add cornering and wire them to a relay and run some kind of delay on it so you'd just have one relay for each side. Be pretty cool really. Sorry I mis-remembered what you said and didn't look.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Sorry about the late response. Cornering lights on virtually any car or truck is pretty useful. I wonder if a guy could add cornering and wire them to a relay and run some kind of delay on it so you'd just have one relay for each side. Be pretty cool really. Sorry I mis-remembered what you said and didn't look.

Yes, you can. That is what we had installed on a few medium duty man lift trucks. One 5-10 second delay relay wired to the turn signal wire on each side. Then that relay to the new corning light. Each blink of the turn signal would reset the time delay and the lamps stay on. Naturally you also needed to add a new power feed to the delay relay too.

The lights installed were small white fog lamps. They put out a nice wide pattern so you could see where you were turning.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes, you can. That is what we had installed on a few medium duty man lift trucks. One 5-10 second delay relay wired to the turn signal wire on each side. Then that relay to the new corning light. Each blink of the turn signal would reset the time delay and the lamps stay on. Naturally you also needed to add a new power feed to the delay relay too.

The lights installed were small white fog lamps. They put out a nice wide pattern so you could see where you were turning.
That's just what I was envisioning. In my head I was seeing hells 440's, but even something like an HF fog light, that doesn't really put out enough light to be of much use as a fog light would work just fine for corning lamps I'd bet. I'll never do it, but in a dreaming world it would be nice to have them. And while we are at it one of those (or two) mounted to the roof pointed into the bed would sure be nice. I remember back in the 80's my dad had a light bar on his square that clamped to the rain gutter on the roof. He had his CB antenna mounted up there too, so he didn't have to put any holes in his roof at all.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Pictures worth a 1000 words. Here is a early square turn signal switch. See the pin holes with no wires or contacts.

Here is a Caddie switch with the wires and contacts for cornering lights:

This switch will fit your square as well as the Caddie it originally for. Feed the center wire from the parking light switch. Lights on, your cornering lights are on. This is a full load switch for the 1156 bulb in the Caddie. Add a regular Bosch relay for each light, if you add a more powerful cornering lamp.

Back side, see the brown wire, feed from the parking light switch.

Less than $50 on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1543812678...0i8B02fukpeTSdyd0%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man