That little wire clip under the steering wheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
There is also a thread at the top of the steering forum that details the whole thing.

Thanks! Other than changing an ignition or blinker switch, be as far into a steering colum as I've been.

@Goldie Driver, Appreciate ya!!

@Raider L, that tool do, or do I need to go on to Auto Zone? Grin.

Thanks guys!!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@wanderinthru,

I was thinking, is the screw for the clip still in the lower column housing? Maybe the clip is still attached to the column? If so maybe the screw is holding it onto the slotted hole for the adjustment. I'm sure you aren't blind and did look. I'm certainly not accusing you of over looking this, but what I wanted to know, what does that screw look like? Is there anyway to measure it? How long is it? Does it have a pitch that can be measured with some sort of a pitch gauge? I had it, but it was in a little zip lock baggie and it was outside on my work stand and I guess the wind blew it off and it's lost under some stuff in my carport.

So, I just tried some different size screws with different pitches until I got one to screw into that clip and used that. But I could tell that that was not it, close but not a perfect fit. You know? You can tell, is it just a bit to tight, to loose, but it will go in okay? You know? I hate that.

You know, unless you know absolutely what a fastener is there's no substitute for a factory screw. Otherwise you'll never guess if it's something like that screw that attaches that clip onto the column. And it's NOT a dash, or trim screw either, I tried them.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@wanderinthru,

I wish I was a machinist, I'm just a welder. If I had another lifetime maybe. I could make anything. My wife's uncle was like that. He built his own differential, a quick change including all the gears. I was amazed!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Any idea where to find these hearings, part number?
You must be registered for see images attach

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ooohhh, a vacuum gauge. Does it have volts and oil too? Where's the fuel gauge?

I'm just curious. Mine has the round gauge package, but just a speedo, fuel gauge and idiot lights.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Ooohhh, a vacuum gauge. Does it have volts and oil too? Where's the fuel gauge?

I'm just curious. Mine has the round gauge package, but just a speedo, fuel gauge and idiot lights.

Yes it does. has 3 small gauges, 2 each side. Fuel is far left, volts beside that....let me go look...nope, temp beside the fuel left. Vacume, speedo, volts, then a clock?? no oil pressure. Fuel and volts work, others do not. I'll go take a picture.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Interesting. Yeah, mine is the standard type round gauges I guess. It was standard with the SS, but really no more instrumentation than the regular 'sweep' style speedo. The spots for the small gauges are where the idiot lights are.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Interesting. Yeah, mine is the standard type round gauges I guess. It was standard with the SS, but really no more instrumentation than the regular 'sweep' style speedo. The spots for the small gauges are where the idiot lights are.

Yours an El Camino? SS, what engine it have?

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
'73 Chevelle SS station wagon. Just the base 350 2bbl.

This the one you had the thread about? Cool guess you got it. This Sprint also has a 350 2bbl, thing will scoot on down the road, and man is it comfy. Chevelle and Sprint/El Camino is the same chassis correct? Along with several others.

Edit to add @bucket, reading through your wagon thread. Did you find bumpers? I sure need a set for this 76 and have had zero luck. How about you @Keith Seymore , you know a bunch about these cars?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This the one you had the thread about? Cool guess you got it. This Sprint also has a 350 2bbl, thing will scoot on down the road, and man is it comfy. Chevelle and Sprint/El Camino is the same chassis correct? Along with several others.

Edit to add @bucket, reading through your wagon thread. Did you find bumpers? I sure need a set for this 76 and have had zero luck. How about you @Keith Seymore , you know a bunch about these cars?

Yeah, same frame. I believe the wagon shares an identical frame with the El Camino, it's longer than a coupe. I haven't found bumpers yet at all, but I haven't really looked yet either. The guy I bought the car from told me that he knows a guy that can get rust free doors. Maybe that fella can get bumpers too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell