TH350 Slips in Drive but will back up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My grandfather's 84 k10 has sat for ~5 years on the side of a hill in the yard with a bad fuel pump. He had a newer truck that was easier to drive than to fix the old truck and we never really needed it until recently. My Duramax was giving me all sorts of trouble and needing a truck I decided to put a fuel pump on this and keep working.

I got the truck going but the pan was completely dry. It had a leak to begin with and where it was on a hill it leaked it totally dry. I expected this and put 4 quarts in it before starting it up. After starting it I backed it down onto a level place and made sure it was full of fluid and tried to move the truck around a bit but it would not go forward. Seemed to have no issues backing up but it did take a while to engage after you select a gear on the column. I could feel it engage drive but it wouldn't grip enough to move around.

Is the trans due a total rebuild? It was fine before the fuel pump quit, is there something that could be done to save it without pulling it?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
My grandfather's 84 k10 has sat for ~5 years on the side of a hill in the yard with a bad fuel pump. He had a newer truck that was easier to drive than to fix the old truck and we never really needed it until recently. My Duramax was giving me all sorts of trouble and needing a truck I decided to put a fuel pump on this and keep working.

I got the truck going but the pan was completely dry. It had a leak to begin with and where it was on a hill it leaked it totally dry. I expected this and put 4 quarts in it before starting it up. After starting it I backed it down onto a level place and made sure it was full of fluid and tried to move the truck around a bit but it would not go forward. Seemed to have no issues backing up but it did take a while to engage after you select a gear on the column. I could feel it engage drive but it wouldn't grip enough to move around.

Is the trans due a total rebuild? It was fine before the fuel pump quit, is there something that could be done to save it without pulling it?

I'd change the trans fluid filter, it might be packed up with ****, just a thought. Thats the easiest place to start

Any whining from the fluid pump?

It sounds like its just low on fluid, you sure the level is correct?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I suppose if all of that checks out, you could flush it of all its fluid, might be some crap in there causing it to not engage.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350

Yes you need a rebuild the seal died sitting for that long. however you can try this, we have bought a couple extra years on a 4l60e with a reverse that was chattering. I usually dont go for the snake oil in a bottle but you have nothing left to loose..

You must be registered for see images attach

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd change the trans fluid filter, it might be packed up with ****, just a thought. Thats the easiest place to start

Any whining from the fluid pump?

It sounds like its just low on fluid, you sure the level is correct?
No noticeable noise from it other than the delay to engage which I agree seems like a low fluid situation but it read good on the stick. I will look into changing the filter and replacing the fluid.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
4 quarts may not enough, but is a good place to start. I wouldn't try moving it much until you are sure the fluid level is correct. And change the filter.

Last edited:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Merged the duplicate posts to keep all replies :waytogo: Thanks for the heads up!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
No noticeable noise from it other than the delay to engage which I agree seems like a low fluid situation but it read good on the stick. I will look into changing the filter and replacing the fluid.

Did you check it while idling in park? Warm or cold? If all the fluid leaked out and its been sitting for years, it's possible the pickup tube O-ring is shot and its just sucking air too. Make sure you start it up, cycle it through each gear manually for a few seconds, then return it to park and go check the fluid level.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Make absolutely sure it’s full of fluid before trying to move it. If it was really low on fluid the damage may already be done.

If it’s full, most likely the forward clutch is smoked. The forward clutch is engaged in every forward gear. Drop the transmission pan, if it’s full of crud, it need to come out for a overhaul.

The transmission addictive MIGHT help if the forward clutch won’t engage due to hard seals. However, nothing can put the friction material back onto the clutch plate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk