th 400 dipstick tube leak grrrr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Iv replaced my dipstick in my turbo 400 with one of them "gaurnteed" to fit chrom dipstick tubes form autozone. It didnt wana go in all the way it was too big, so i ground it down a little at atime till it fit. Installed new O ring and it still leaks. Thought it was pan gasket so replaced that again added 6 new quarts of ATF and still leaks!!!! can someone suggest a fix for this one or a company of one that fits out of the box?? i clean the base of tube with rag and watch it trickle out.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I would clean the tube and the transmission up as good as possible with a clean rag and some brake clean, then hit the o-ring area with a film of silicone to help it seal up. TCI sells a replacement unit, but I can't vouch for it being any better than the china chrome from the parts stores.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-743802/

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep rtv it.

my th350 one fit great just had to watch cuz it tried to push the o-ring off of it. The next time I had it out I used rtv to be sure though since I reused the o-ring.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I went to Chevy and bought one it was 20 or 30 bucks I can't remember, but it doesn't leak, and it slipped right in. Will worth the money IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels