Terrible camber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drswiger

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
How the hell do I fix this? there are like 10 shims and the camber is still crazy stupid.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Frame shop. They'll bend it back into spec. They can also do the alignment while there. At least the frame shop I go to can do all of that on their premises. I need to have mine done as I can't use any shims, and it just barely within spec, so mine is only adjusting toe.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Drswiger,

Dang! That's almost as bad as my drivers side is. The alignment shop told me they couldn't shim it anymore, that is was as far out as they could shim it "legally"? Have you ever heard of that? That, I guess, it's as far out as they could shim it that if the bolts broke the A arm could swing away and cause you to have a wreck? Now, I've had a lower ball joint stud break and the coil spring forced the lower A arm into the street and the tire turned out wildly! But I was just turning into the parking lot of the school where I was picking up my daughter from, and I was turning that way anyway! Ha, ha, ha. How convenient.

Drswiger

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Ordered a supposedly longer UCA to kick the tire out some and taller spring. Will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drswiger

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Exactly but I just bought the UCAs and a taller spring. Replacing the stock spindle with 3 inch drop. Will see

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Exactly but I just bought the UCAs and a taller spring. Replacing the stock spindle with 3 inch drop. Will see

My mistake, apparently I have poor reading comprehension this morning. Looks like you're on the right track.

Drswiger

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I ordered a stock spring.along with the three inch drop spindle. Probably will be too tall but hard to know what size spring to go with the three inch drop spindle. Will just need to install it, drop the truck and see. The guy that lowered it to start did a jack leg job. Totally unsafe as well. All they did was put a short ass spring and shimmed the hell out of the UCA. All the way to the point that the nut on the UCA bolts are at the very end. I guarantee you that if you were to hit a big bump, you would probably sheer the UCA bolts off. Even after all the shims, still has a good 1-11/2 inches of negative camber
Will be some trial and error

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Mine isn’t quite as bad and I have a 3” drop spindle and a 3” drop spring. I’m looking into control arms for mine but undecided whether I’ll stay with springs or go to airbags.

Drswiger

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Yeah. Still sucks. The stock spring is probably going to be too tall. Got new shocks coming as well. It has a little take to it right now. Will settle for it being level

Drswiger

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
If I fix this I’m next probably going to change out the gauges. Haven’t decided on which. Been trying to find a good picture of the cluster connection itself with the wires labeled. I suck at wiring

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Pretty sure that'll rectify your problem. On my son's truck we used the CPP Upper/ Lower and while I haven't finalized everything yet, It will probably only need a two where the stock arms required a full pack like what you are experiencing.

Drswiger

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Considered replacing the LCA as well but since it is not really causing the problem and it’s not rusted out, leaving it. Probably should replace it but can do it later at some time and would rather put the money towards a new instrument cluster. Thinking of going with an Autometer Invision

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Haven't ever done this on a square body truck, but on numerous tri-fives, Novas and Chevelles, whenever the engine is out of the car, I put a portapower between the frame rails and open the frame up some, Measure from a-arms to start, power it open about a half inch further and let it sit over night, It will spring back but not all the way. Gives some additional camber. YMMV...but it works for me.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
My truck had a stack of shims like that when I bought it. I installed an "offset" upper control arm shaft and that corrected it. Now it's back to normal.

Reactions: WFO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20