Sheered upper control arm bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I pulled in the driveway this morning heard a loud pop and the truck shifted so I knew I was in for a fun day.

Got everything pulled off and found the stud that the upper control arm mounts to was completely sheered. Was able to rescue the shims and everything.

I'm about to start hammering this mafuggin piece of **** out from the outside in and wanted to make sure that is the correct way to remove.

My air hammer chisel is too big to fit in there so about to check the hardware store if my BFH doesn't start working soon

You must be registered for see images attach

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
There should be clearance holes in the frame behind the studs, so it should be able to be knocked out in situ.

The one I replaced on my 79 came out with a bang on the hydraulic press (had everything disassemble). Hopefully yours plays nice.

I see your new post, I believe I bought the replacements I used from LMC?

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
There should be clearance holes in the frame behind the studs, so it should be able to be knocked out in situ.

The one I replaced on my 79 came out with a bang on the hydraulic press (had everything disassemble). Hopefully yours plays nice.

I see your new post, I believe I bought the replacements I used from LMC?

Thanks, yeah they didn't budge at all until they did and then it shot out of the back lol. I got frustrated after I posted and started smacking the **** out of it, always a good way to fix things.

I keep reading online from others they got the wrong size stud from LMC and the shipping is more than the parts but I don't see any other option here :shrug:. I thought about going and picking up a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store until I found the splines and realized they are a greater diameter than the shoulder of the bolt.

Thanks again!

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
LMC = 10 days :grimace:

Can't find a pick n pull that has a squarebody either. Called the local junkyards and they aren't pick n pull and won't sell me the damn stud. Thinking about going up and finding a grade 8 bolt of same diameter to hold me over for 10 days, convince me not to...

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I'll leave the search up to you, but the internet isn't the only place to shop. Have you tried Dorman products?? Fastenal is in the specialty bolt business.. They may have what you want.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'd look at replacement wheel studs by diamension. Your local parts store probably has something.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'll leave the search up to you, but the internet isn't the only place to shop. Have you tried Dorman products?? Fastenal is in the specialty bolt business.. They may have what you want.
Yeah I don't have a business acct so I can only order thru Fastenal website and local pickup and their website has nothing similar I can find.

Tried going to AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and advanced auto and checked summit website. Nothing.

Called Chevy dealership, called a Chevy old school part shop, even called a 'squarebody graveyard' I got referred to.

Also checked napa but I'm finding nothing. The splined bolt is discontinued a while ago and doesn't have a part number.

Last edited:

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'd look at replacement wheel studs by diamension. Your local parts store probably has something.
I like the idea but the only bolts the local part stores have found are not 1/2" 20. I'm not sure how to get them to find the parts as OEM is discontinued they all say.

The bolt is 1/2" 20 (fine thread) and 3" long, splined and then shouldered.. I have doing the shocks and all the bushings since I have to rip it apart so I won't reassemble until tomorrow so if anyone has any other ideas I definitely want to get the correct bolt in there I just can't have my only ride down for 10+ days waiting on a bolt

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I like the idea but the only bolts the local part stores have found are not 1/2" 20. I'm not sure how to get them to find the parts as OEM is discontinued they all say.

The bolt is 1/2" 20 (fine thread) and 3" long, splined and then shouldered.. I have doing the shocks and all the bushings since I have to rip it apart so I won't reassemble until tomorrow so if anyone has any other ideas I definitely want to get the correct bolt in there I just can't have my only ride down for 10+ days waiting on a bolt
Well fugg the replacement bolt has a slightly larger diameter than the stock one on the shoulder and the shims don't fit anyway.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The saga has entered hour 14 of rebuilding my front suspension on a whim......

Squarebody graveyard guy called me back late at night looks like I might be getting the right part in the morning if I play my cards right...

Only problem is I have no way to get there to buy the part :rofl: let's see how much it ends up costing...

Already spent enough on front suspension parts but now both of my sawzalls that I need to cut out these bushings both have two dead batteries that won't charge or hold one more than 30 seconds. God I love that we have moved to rechargable **** tools with expensive batteries... Imagine paying a whole $1 a year for gas to operate said tools..... Or God forbid plugging it in

And just to make things fun for myself I went and rented a **** tool from AutoZone that didn't work (ball joint separator), and instead just ended up using a bolt and bracket from a steering wheeler puller I already had to pop the lower ball joint off.

Ok end rant.

Last edited:

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Not gonna lie there is a midget on my shoulder telling me to shave the shims to fit because it's far cheaper and possibly more reliable than the 40 years old bolt in about to pay $100 for

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
The midget is right. Shave the shims to fit.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
1/2 lug studs are super common. Take this pic to the parts store.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-20_080652.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-20_080652.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1