Temporary Motor Support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
This is more just a general question about supporting the motor than it is anything else, but this seemed like as good a spot as any to post it.

Getting ready to swap motor mounts, motor mount frame brackets, and engine cross member. I need to support the motor in place so I can line up the new motor mount frame brackets and drill holes in the frame in the right spot. I have the transmission bolted up to the motor and the transmission bolted down to the rear cross member.

I need to support the front of the motor during the motor mount bracket swap. I was originally going to use my motor hoist, but it gets in the way more than anything, and I really don't like relying on a hydraulic cylinder to hold a lot of weight for an extended period of time.

Can I support the front of the motor by putting a jack stand under the harmonic balancer/vibration damper on the front of the crankshaft? Will that cause any damage to the balancer/damper, or the front oil seal, or the front main bearing?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
hopefully you've figured out your issue by now. My thoughts would be to put it where it should be and mark all the holes then remove/lift it out of the way and drill. If your really concerned about accuracy, drill one on each side, put a bolt in to torque spec's.....then mark the others......remove/lift and drill the others.

I've never done what your stating, but thats what I would do....after searching the web for others that have done it (mainly looking for do's and don'ts.... if they are out there).

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Thanks for the response. I have ZERO desire to pull the motor, which is where this request originated from. I decided to just support the front of the motor with a jack stand under the harmonic balancer. I haven't started drilling holes for the motor mount brackets yet, but I have begun modifying my brackets to fit. Drilling the holes is not going to be super easy with the motor in place, but it is doable. It is a time consuming process, but I'm getting there slowly.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
To me supporting by the balancer just does not sound good. Either 4x4 on the fenders or tall jackstands around the oil pan flange would be my preference

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I was skeptical about it also. With the front axle in the way, it is nearly impossible to get a jack stand in a suitable position to support it in any other place. I hemmed and hawed over it for an inordinate amount of time, but I talked to my engine builder buddy, and he said it shouldn't be a problem. I got tired of talking about it and said screw it...worst case scenario, I end up having to replace my harmonic balancer, and that will give me a reason to replace the crank pulley also, which could stand to be replaced anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP