Tell me about my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thats still really good for a non crossflow head, pushrod 250 inch 6 designed in the 60s.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I should have clarified, that Nova would smoke my R30 its bone stock and no AIR pump. We could have some fun and run similarly displacement I6s against each other with my TB. Nah, that would lose too, less weight and geared better. I love I6s, part of why I got a TB. Stock for stock a 6 can run with an 8, modified, its easier to go faster with 8 but would be more fun with 6.

There happens to be a few tricks you can do to a 6 and make them run real good with OEM head and such. For example, the Intake cylinders can have the bolt boss that goes down through the center of the port, you can grind that bolt boss out, stud the block on the manifold side of the head, then nut the stud by reaching in the intake port and using a crowsfoot, torque it down. If you ever see a 6 with the valve cover off and you only see 1 row of head bolts, and the other holes are plugged, then you know that's what was done. You're adding about 25% more breathing space and air flow by taking that big restriction out of the port.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thats still really good for a non crossflow head, pushrod 250 inch 6 designed in the 60s.

Yep, it runs real well for an I6. He's got Clifford Research manifold and headers, and I think it's 3 Offy Carbs, maybe Webers. I don't recall for sure now. And he doesn't daily drive it anymore. Still the same car, but he wanted it fully insured and he get's alot better rate if he just drives it on the weekends, and of course got him something more efficient on fuel too. He/She lives in So Cali. I actually know the wife more than him. I grew up next door to her.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
That Nova is daily driven street car. It only does 13.20's in the 1/4 mile. It spanks OEM 4.6 Mustang GT's all day long and even those with a Flowmaster, K&N and chipped.

its not going to spank a 86 5.0 mustang I have sitting in my garage:signs6:

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
Lol, maybe I need to get a nova straight six and hot rod it, that thing is sweet

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
its not going to spank a 86 5.0 mustang I have sitting in my garage:signs6:

I doubt it's an OEM 5.0 Mustang. Is it still a Ford a powerplant?

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My $.02: My truck originally came with this engine, and while it isn't a bad engine by any means, the power loss incurred at altitude coupled with god knows what else caused it to only know two things - idle and WOT.

I personally hated it - tried to give it a chance, tinker, tune, buy it a fancy dinner, etc., but ultimately found the first excuse I could to jump the 350 bandwagon.

TBH, I hear that some of the multi-carb aftermarket intakes are pretty badass for these.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
While some of the multi carb intakes are badass, one drawback on these I6's that I know of for sure, aftermarket hipo parts are off the hook expensive, so if you're not going for a stocker, you might consider a V8 since it will be much much cheaper to hot rod a V8 than an I6.

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
I'm not trying to hot rod it, I just want to drive it and use it to haul and tow things, If I wanted a hot rod I would buy a camaro or something. but it is interesting what people do to their engines.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Drive it! I drive mine! Make it whatever you want it to be.
Bob

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
While some of the multi carb intakes are badass, one drawback on these I6's that I know of for sure, aftermarket hipo parts are off the hook expensive, so if you're not going for a stocker, you might consider a V8 since it will be much much cheaper to hot rod a V8 than an I6.

My exact outlook/mindset.

While it would be cool to take advantage of the economy of an inline or to build something up that nobody else has... Lower demand = higher cost.
TBH, if your primary objective is economy over a 'novelty factor', buy don't want a 350 - maybe entertain a 305 swap?
You can pull good econ with a 305 and still be able to take advantage of the virtually limitless world of SBC aftermarket.

Or as Bob said - just drive and beat the living piss out of it. At least you might be able to tell a story about how you broke an unbreakable inline 6. Hell, I'd be interested in that tale.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey, I broke an I6. Actually 2x. Broke a piston in a 230. The piston broke at the bottom ring landing. The piston cap stayed at the top of the cylinder, the piston skirt kept the rod safely where it supposed to be so it didn't damage the block. I couldn't find a single piston to patch up this 300,000 + mile motor without buying a full set of pistons. After doing research, I realized the 230 piston is the same exact piston as a 283 piston. Had a junk 283 out back. Took the 2 rods and pistons to the machine shop, $6 to press off and on so I could keep the same rod on the same crank journal. Put new rod bearings on all 6 rods, new rings on the 1 cylinders and put it back together. Ran like a champ again for at least another 40,000 miles. That 230 was my back up spare motor for if and when I broke my V8 race motors, or had them out for freshen up or rebuilds. My dad used it for awhile too while I built his motor, and so did my bro when he seized his motor. Was still running good when I scrapped it before moving to OK. I wasn't going to carry that motor with me to OK from Cali, but it still ran good. It has to have real close to 400,000 miles on it. I did lap the valves and replace the valves seals once when it blew a head gasket between cylinders. And it did burn a little oil. Maybe a quart per 1500-2000 miles or so. Smoke a tad at first start up in the mornings, but couldn't kill it.

Then I broke a 250. Was pulling it out of a truck for a V8 swap, had it about 4 feet in the air, and it dropped off the hook. Talk about a hard hit. Glad noone was under it. Snapped the crankshaft.

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
I already have a 5.0 L v8, the gas isn't that good. I really don't want to change out the original Engine, I haven't had any trouble finding parts at a reasonable cost.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We're moreless referring to aftermarket hi performance parts being expensive and hard to find, and not a big selection. I think Clifford Resarch and Offenhauser for example are the only ones who made aftermarket intake to be able to run a 4bbl carb for example and there weren't many models to choose from at that. If you're staying stock, you'll be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64