Tell me about my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
I picked up a free truck last month, and I really couldn't find any substantial Info on the engine in the truck, I have a Chevy 250 inline 6 engine. If someone has already asked this I am sorry, I couldn't find it, What should I be watching out for as I look to get this truck running? Is the engine any good? stuff like that

Last edited:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
"Tell me about my engine"

Well its an internal combustion engine with 6 sylenders and hopefully the matching pistons that go in the cylenders. And when a black semi-rectangle is pushed to the floor pan, it make the engine make a vroom-vroom sound.

Sorry.... I felt the need to say that...

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
lol, kind of funny. I know about engines in general. But they didn't go over inline 6 engines in the tech school I went to, and they don't really show up in today's world, I just can't really find anything about it

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Inline 6 are more simple than your standard V8. Easier to work on too, IMO. that 250 was preceeded by the "blue flame" inline sixes. Simple OHV, water cooled motor that was a GM staple until the 80s.

Here is a Wiki article.
The stroked 250 version produced 155 hp (116 kW) for Chevrolet and GMC, with a 37/8 in bore and 317/32 in stroke. Between 1975 and 1984, an integrated cylinder head was produced, with one-barrel intakes for passenger cars, and two-barrel intakes for trucks after 1978.

During the mid-1970s, the Buick 231 and Chevrolet V6-90 (basically a variant of the Chevrolet small block V8) were replacing the Chevrolet 250 for use in passenger cars and light duty trucks/vans. Passenger car use of the 250 cu in (4,093 cc) engine was discontinued after the 1979 model year for North America (along with the Chevrolet 292), since the six was restricted to light truck usage (the 4.1 was discontinued after 1984 in North America, where the Vortec 4.3 V6 became the base engine).

This engine was used on the following vehicles:

1966–1984 Chevrolet (passenger cars to 1979, trucks/vans to 1984)

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
Thanks that does help, what can I expect from the motor? I have heard that they are nigh unkillable is that true

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
I did find some forums about the 250 inline 6, but unfortunately they were all about making high hp hot rod engines from them, I don't want that, the truck will be a daily driver when I get a new battery for it, so I can stop driving my 80's Lincoln everyday.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Best thing to do is buy a chilton"s manual. Haynes is good too. Straight forward little engines. A little tlc they will run for ever.

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
Thanks, I have access to chiltons manuals online via tech school, having finished the actual tech courses and just finishing a few generals I have free unlimited access to chiltons and ebsco manuals for like ever

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
the later engines has a integral head that is prone to overheating and warpage.them engines are very torquey,however don't like a lot of rpms.makes a good economical truck engine. people usually swap that later head for the earlier head.

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
If I and keep up with the regular maintenance will that be a problem? Is it just a defect or a lack of mechanical knowledge and preventative maintenance? And how would I go about changing this, In my state major modifications to cars prevent them from being tagged as antiques, would changing that present a problem?

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i have antique tags on my truck,with four inch lift and a cammed,modified engine,headers and glass packs dumping before the rear axles.if your in Ks like im am,i pay 17.00 a year for tags.all they worry about is what year of truck i have.A head change wouldn't affect anything anyway.i see all kind of street rods and muscle car with antique tags that are definitely modified.

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
Well, they don't enforce their own rules than. The website says no major modifications, heh, my luck I'd be the one to get called on it, but if they overlook those things, I'm sure that they won't even notice, unless all the tag office people are required to be master tech mechanics starting from decades ago, that would be hilarious though

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They arent going to even notice an 80s inline six powered truck as "over modified".

SgtSunbutt

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4.1L gmc 250-I6
Well, I have a tendency to over worry. I probably would have noticed in the shop if one ever came in due to engine problems, because, even though I far from an expert on straight sixes, the service info would have said something. I just automatically think that people will notice what I will notice. You're right though, they won't even care, much less notice, I'm sure the tag office people don't really get paid enough to care

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
tag people don't ever see your vehicle,enforcement is did by county sheriff and highway patrol.you would have to throw it in their face for them to notice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe