Tbi vs carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well that is at least a sensible offering of opinion. I am doing this swap probably in the next couple weeks. I have an 87 305 TBI. I am chasing the tail. I have had the throttle body rebuilt last week by a guy the knows them and loves them. I have replaced the computer. TPS MAP IAC AND TEMP Sensor...oh and O2 sensor as well. Even the new parts were checked with volt ohm and or vacuum as needed . The signal wires and voltage on them tested. Well lo and behold the thing that was causing the lady finger firecracker popping on accel was the pick up coil. Oh the fuel reg was rebuilt when doing the Throttle body.
NOW I have this idle issue up and down. REAL low and shutting down sometimes at stops. Then on restart it goes to about 1800-2200 rpm and unlike a carb there is no kicking down a choke. But that is how high it is idling at times.
Now I have this shutting down issue as I am driving down the road. Lose all power. I coast to stop and it will crank...but I have to do the no no and pump gas a couple times for it to start which I know you shouldn't do. Pressure has been tested etc.
Oh and did I say I replace the computer? OH I did.

So to ditch the computer I and all the sensors etc I am ditching TBI. Also the pass tank primes but the minute I flip the switch it kills the engine so that will be address on the swap. I intend on pulling pumps from both and using an electric pump for the carb. I don't like moving the tanks to the single bed since then wife would have to flip the cover back on bad weather days. Frankly not my idea of fun either. Slush all over the clothes!
I am swapping distributor and intake as well. Was looking for a good parts list from others. It is a stock 305 and it actually is running strong when it isn't trying to leave me on the side of the road. When it shut down it took the stereo out as well for a minute or two. I think this might be electrical but the idle issue going real low and real high....
This swap is more of a lets get back to basics sort of dependability. Wife now will not drive it and loves the truck. I don't blame her. Last night I was getting ready to list it as is on Facebook. It is solid shortbed.
I'm very sure you can be successful at this conversion, and also I do understand why you are under taking it. I've seen your other thread on the topic as well. Curious if you are planning to put an ESC system in the 305 or if you are going to go to a standard HEI system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1