TBI upgrades? what have you done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Left the cat. converter on but run the single 3 inch all the way through,guess I got something right,I`m a now going shopping for the 454 TBI unit.
As asked before,does a person instill His 350 injectors into the 454 TBI unit ???

Si' sinore

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The 454 TB is a different bolt pattern Jim.

Same bolt pattern, but the barrels on a stock 350 are 1 11/16", and the 454 are 2"
Also, if you have a kickdown or tv cable, make sure you get a tb with the lower cable button.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You can avoid the linkage issues by going with a sbc tb that's been bored to 46mm. Rated at 590 cfm, they will support engines up to 350 hp. But... without a matching intake and spacer (if equipped) the 46mm tb is a waste of time and money.

I have my fpr set at 13 psi. There's no advantage to cranking it up beyond that on a stockish engine. A 383 would need a bit more, around 16-17, depending on the rated hp of the motor.

No prom tuning required for the mods listed. It would be nice to have a custom tune, but not necessary. I wish Jim was a little closer, I could use his help with an engine swap tune.
No problem, You can borrow my tuning and logging equipment if you want, you will need a laptop though. And I can hook you up with the tuning guy in vancouver, wa. I am still too wet behind the ears to confidently do a full tune.
There is also a possibility that there is a TBI 383 tune that exists in the library.

Last edited:

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
You become the official GMSB tuner and that would be sweet :) lol nice little side job

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You become the official GMSB tuner and that would be sweet :) lol nice little side job

That would be a lot of ECM's to covert to use a flashable chip!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
No problem, You can borrow my tuning and logging equipment if you want, you will need a laptop though. And I can hook you up with the tuning guy in vancouver, wa. I am still too wet behind the ears to confidently do a full tune.
There is also a possibility that there is a TBI 383 tune that exists in the library.

That's a generous offer but I don't borrow anything...ever. If it comes down to that I'll just buy the equipment. There's a guy around here somewhere that did a lot of tuning for the car magazines on special projects but he closed his shop. I've heard he's working at a dealership about an hour South so I'm looking into it. I'm aware of the guy up North, but I'm convinced that a custom dyno tune is the better way to go. Thanks again for the offer but self tuning is voodoo magic and I don't have the brain power for it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That's a generous offer but I don't borrow anything...ever. If it comes down to that I'll just buy the equipment. There's a guy around here somewhere that did a lot of tuning for the car magazines on special projects but he closed his shop. I've heard he's working at a dealership about an hour South so I'm looking into it. I'm aware of the guy up North, but I'm convinced that a custom dyno tune is the better way to go. Thanks again for the offer but self tuning is voodoo magic and I don't have the brain power for it.

Ok, well let me know what you end up doing. I have found that using data from a vehicle that is driven on a road in different situations is best over all, as apposed to sitting on a dyno. Kinda like the test sites at the Auto makers. Empty, loaded beyond weight capacity, up hill, real aerodynamic situations...blah, blah, blah
You get the picture.
The beauty is, You are not tuning. You are gathering info for the tuner, and he tunes the programming based on the data that you send. then he e mails the file, and you load it onto a chip, and install the chip and go for another logging drive untill everything possible has been maximized efficiency wise.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
that seems like a lot of back and forth :/

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
I completely agree though that data from a road test is better then a dyno. I wish this was simple enough that any computer savy person could do.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I completely agree though that data from a road test is better then a dyno. I wish this was simple enough that any computer savy person could do.

As far as the Data logging, its a simple setup, and hit the record button, and go for a drive.
Anyone that tunes on a dyno, can sit in the passenger seat and tune on the laptop while you drive...Which is what my guy does up in WA for locals.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Guess I'll have to find a tuner guy around here then.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Guess I'll have to find a tuner guy around here then.

Nope, all you need is an ALDL cable, and a laptop, and a free copy of tunerpro RT...you would have to mail the chip back and forth, but thats the way to go.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Ok attached is some data I logged using WinALDL.

The Park one is just sitting still shifting gears.

Thought?

Attachments

• Park_Drive_alternate_LOG.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Short_Drive_LOG.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 133

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My laptop is on the blink again...wont be able to read it until its fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli