TBI to Carb Swap??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hey guys so I'm thinking of swapping my TBI motor out for a carb'd 350... I've asked this question before and I only got advice on switching intake manifolds n throwing a carb on it. So what I really need to know is how do I get a carb'd engine to run in the truck?? I know it's going to set off the engine light but that shouldn't matter... And how to I get rid of all the excess wires? I just don't like dealing with a computer controlled engine.. Help me out guys!

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
I have thought long and hard about swapping from tbi to carb. We did it on my brothers 88 suburban and I was going to do it to mine but I'm just going to exhaust all possibilities with my tbi first. But this is what you will need to do.

You need to separate all charging wires from ecu wires(starter,alternator,ignition,fuse panel wire ect.).

Then you need to remove distributor and intake, throttle body. Install new intake and carb. Set timing to btdc 0*. Install new distributor, plug wires.

Now in order for your temperature gauge to work you will need to have the single green wire hooked up on the driver cylinder head as factory. In order for your fuel pump(electric in tank) to work you will have to reuse the oil pressure switch on the top rear of the engine block[next to distributor]. In order for the oil pressure gauge to work you need to also have the oil pressure switch hooked up on the lower driver side of the block{next to manifold-single wire}

You need a switched 12v to distributor for the coil to work. Just splice off the factory plug from coil for that. Sorry don't remember what color wire that was.

You need to install a fuel pressure regulator with return somewhere on your fuel line to regulate pressure down to about 6 to 6 1/2psi. You will also need to install a torque converter lock up kit(if equipped with 700r4 like it should).

For the carburetor you will need a geometry kit for the T.V. cable to work correctly. If you don't do the T.V. Cable correctly it will be bad news for the transmission so make sure you buy the right one for the carb.

Main things you will need to do to accomplish this will be
1. H.E.I. Distributor
2. Geometry bracket kit for 700R4
3. Carburetor (your choice)
4. Torque converter lock-up kit
5. 4-barrel intake
6. H.E.I. Spark plug wires (get from a 85 1500 chevy)
7. Fuel pressure regulator with return (make sure it has a return!)

Now here's the thing, you can do without the torque converter lock up kit BUT it's not to good on the transmission. When we did my brothers we never installed one and his truck did fine without it. You can look it up on google also many people go without it. It's not wise but it can be done. Also don't try to bypass the electric fuel pump by using a mechanical because they do not have enough power to pull through the electric pump(we learned the hard way). If you do want mechanical that's fine because then you just buy a factory replacement for an 85 1500 chevy, but you will have to drop the tank to get the electric pump out. Do not try to run a fuel pressure regulator that doesn't have a return as it will burn up the electric fuel pump. Trust me we did it and that's why we put a mechanical and learned it won't pull through the electric pump well enough to keep the motor running. You can use just about any year of small block chevy plug wires as long as it's for an H.E.I. distributor. Reason I say 85 is because it's easy to remember.

Best fuel pressure regulator with return for a good price is Mallory 4309 $101

Best intake to use for the price is a Professional Products Cyclone $143 (they bolt right up to the center bolt heads as they are designed for just that and have the same size runners as a Edlebrock performer)

Me personally I would go with a TCI lock up kit as they are cheaper and have everything you need to do the task $89

I am an Edlebrock fan for carbs but that's my own opinion most are Holley people. Just make sure you get the Geometry kit for whatever carb you buy.

H.E.I. Distributor don't matter what year you get as long as it's an H.E.I. You could even buy a high performance if you wanted. Reason I say H.E.I. is because it's the easiest to install and stuff because then you don't have to find a place to mount a coil.

I think I covered just about everything you needed to know other than obvious stuff like swapping thermostat housing over and hoses and stuff.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
And when I say 0*BTDC I'm referring to the harmonic dampener on the crankshaft. The distributer you will stab in like any typical H.E.I. Distributer. Such as rotor button pointing to number one cylinder and vacuum advance at I believe was at number 4 cylinder. I think that was a good start point to bust it off to set timing. I have always timed my ear but everyone has their own method of madness.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
This is not that complicated. Use factory wiring, alt, and sensors (oil and temp). I used a Barry grant fuel bypass regulator but holly offers one also for a around 50 bucks. I used a dizzy for an early hei app. You need a fuel pump block off plate if using the in tank pump as I did. Holly has a throttle and TV cable bracket for 20 bucks. Part#20-95. My ecu controls the tranny OD (700R4). The rest of the wiring can be left unplugged or cut out as I did mine. I have some pics on my profile page you can check out.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Edelbrock has a spread bore dual plane performer intake 3706(egr) and 2104 non egr for using a quadjet or holley spreadbore carb. bolts on to 87-95 cast iron heads.

I don't know if anyone on here has used that holley spread bore, but I have everything to put on edelbrocks 1806 and I think instead im gonna redo my quadjet with new throttle bushings and just sell this eddy carb or save it for something not using a 700r4.

interestingly the local parts stores want $285-$385 more for a rebuilt Quadjet as offered by summit or autoline, what a joke! I got quoted $778 plus $85 for a core charge by napa when I can order it on line from the same place they get it for for $404

but I got a few good non warped cores here with electric choke so im just gonna get a rebuild kit and throttle shaft bushing kit, probably cost less than $100 and do it myself.

and ya all you need is 12v to an HEI distributor and reuse your water temp wire might need to switch out your sending unit ( not sure ) and that's it ! pretty simple.

Oh if you use a quadjet it takes 4v for the electric choke where as everything else I believe takes 12v for electric choke

My 84 has the 4v wire not sure if your 87 will ? just use a meter that's how I found mine ( used to be diesel) now its quadjet 350

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky