TBI Throttle Shaft Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This might apply to you folks out there with old, tired quadrajets, too. I don't know them very well. My Rochester TBI has noticeable play in the throttle shaft, and I read that causes a heap of performance issues, which I've been having a hard pedal, richness, TPS voltage that stays relatively high. Is there a bushing that goes in there for an '87 unit, or is it bored straight in the body? Have you guys ever rebushed a TBI, or did you just replace them with another unit?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You can re-bush them And there are kits available but I have not done it. I do know you stand a chance of goofing it up but I wouldn't be afraid to do it. Regarding the stiff pedal it's probably the cable. Grab a new one they're cheap!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You can re-bush them And there are kits available but I have not done it. I do know you stand a chance of goofing it up but I wouldn't be afraid to do it. Regarding the stiff pedal it's probably the cable. Grab a new one they're cheap!

I emailed SPR Performance in Illinois, and they said they'd bush it for fifty bucks. I'm probably just gonna end up mailing it to them. And see, I checked the throttle cable and it's as smooth as butter. I found that it's the TV cable that's so stiff. It feels and sounds like a zipper, and it kinda rubs.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I emailed SPR Performance in Illinois, and they said they'd bush it for fifty bucks. I'm probably just gonna end up mailing it to them. And see, I checked the throttle cable and it's as smooth as butter. I found that it's the TV cable that's so stiff. It feels and sounds like a zipper, and it kinda rubs.

Replace the tv cable while there as well. Get a new seal fir it as well. Single bolt holds it to the transmission and there is a hook on the inside to disconnect.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Replace the tv cable while there as well. Get a new seal fir it as well. Single bolt holds it to the transmission and there is a hook on the inside to disconnect.

What's the best way to attack the cable? Should I clip it in up top, route it, disconnect the bottom, hook it in, and bolt it back up? I ordered an AC Delco cable from the internet so I'm guessing it'll come with a seal.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Unclip on the top. Push it a little back through the bracket. Then move to the transmission end and take the 10mm bolt out. Next there should be enough play to pull it out of the case to undo it from the eye inside. Then reinstall new one with a new seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogueakula