Talgate window seal install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BR@NDON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Surburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I am replacing the window seals on my tailgate and am stuck on installing the inner seal which attaches to the plastic trim piece that fixes to the inside of the tailgate. The factory stapled through the sheet metal seal into the the plastic trim, however I don't know what tool to use that will staple through the sheet metal that the seal is made of. These aren't your normal staples, they are extremely "heavy duty".

Any suggestions?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't know anything about Suburban rear gates so I'm flying blind here. Could you drill pilot holes in about the same spots as where the staples were and then pop-rivet the seal to the sheet metal?

A couple of photos might help.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't know anything about Suburban rear gates so I'm flying blind here. Could you drill pilot holes in about the same spots as where the staples were and then pop-rivet the seal to the sheet metal?

A couple of photos might help.

That is a great idea.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Maybe use those plastic pop-rivets with the wide flange to prevent the seal from developing dimples at the rivet points. You'd want it to lay flat.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Are you sure its stapled through the sheet metal. Its supposed to be stapled to the plastic panel.

BR@NDON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Surburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The window seal itself is metal. That seal is stapled to the plastic. I drilled an old piece of window seal and pop riveted it to a broken piece of plastic. The first time it cracked, the second time it worked because I popped it from the plastic side. I am going to work on it some more this weekend and will post pictures later to show it.

I need to take a look at those plastic PR's because I won't be able to pop it from the plastic side on the gate piece due to the nature of the piece how it curves around etc. I don't know if I am describing this correctly, but I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Use a flat washer on the rivet to keep the pressure from breaking the plastic.

BR@NDON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Surburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Longer pop rivets were the answer. I forgot to take pictures along the way, but this is the piece after it's back on the truck. Thanks for the help and ideas here.

Attachments

• IMG_20141130_102458.jpg
    IMG_20141130_102458.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay