Taillight lens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik Anderson

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K25
Engine Size
Does anyone have a way to refurbish factory taillight lens? Mine are original but faded pretty bad. Aftermarket look fresh and clean but I prefer to keep the originals. Thanks.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Does anyone have a way to refurbish factory taillight lens? Mine are original but faded pretty bad. Aftermarket look fresh and clean but I prefer to keep the originals. Thanks.
Yes, I’ve restored some by polishing them, if they’re not cracked and just oxidized they can be refreshed. Similar to how you restore plastic Headlight lenses, Remove the tail light housings from the truck. (I made a jig to hold them, using a QuickGrip wood clamp attached to a piece of wood) Use fine white liquid polishing compound and a foam ball attachment on a cordless drill, You don’t want to use anything faster than the #2 setting on your drill. High speed tools like an air driven angle grinder can burn or mar the plastic. After you get the desired sheen with the compound, clean your foam and do the same process with a quality paste wax. I’ve had good results with this method. Good luck!

Last edited:

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I use Turtle Wax on mine, inside and out once a month, atleast the outside. Mine were faded and I also replaced both inner housings for the bulbs. They make them in black, so I painted them gloss white then waxed them. Made a world of difference

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I used to use Brasso on our old patrol car light bars lenses, then follow up with Meguires #7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005