Switching cluster types (please read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
I have an '87 SWB R10 Chevrolet that has the cluster with the "idiot" lights in it.
I want to switch to a cluster that has the gauges and prefer a factory tach (which is unheard of in these years)

If I was to purchase a cluster from a junk yard with gauges, how would I go about hooking it up to work with the gauges?

Or is there a way to delete the "idiot" lights and put my own gauges there?

Right now my gauges are mounted near the ground and I want to move them to a more visible area.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You can go either way, there are several threads here about doing both. While not terribly complicated, there is a lot of wiring involved. A wiring diagram for your truck will be a good piece of information to have.

Where are you located in Texas, BTW?

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
You can go either way, there are several threads here about doing both. While not terribly complicated, there is a lot of wiring involved. A wiring diagram for your truck will be a good piece of information to have.

Where are you located in Texas, BTW?

In a tiny town called Venus.
What would be easier?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
along with the wiring you would have to switch the senders too. idiot light vs gauge senders are totally different.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I just mounted a set of aftermarket gauges in the panel and mounted a small tach to the A pillar. It was a lot easier that swapping the wires around in the connector to match a factory gauge cluster. All I had to do was cut the area in the cluster pod to fit the gauges. You really can't tell when the cluster face installed.

I am getting ready to completely replace the wiring with a 21 circuit harness and when I finish with the harness then I am going to install the Dakota cluster.

Attachments

• Imgp1428.jpg
    Imgp1428.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Imgp1561.jpg
    Imgp1561.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 123

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
I just mounted a set of aftermarket gauges in the panel and mounted a small tach to the A pillar. It was a lot easier that swapping the wires around in the connector to match a factory gauge cluster. All I had to do was cut the area in the cluster pod to fit the gauges. You really can't tell when the cluster face installed.

I am getting ready to completely replace the wiring with a 21 circuit harness and when I finish with the harness then I am going to install the Dakota cluster.

Where did you get that cluster from?
I am eventually going to completely gut and redo this truck from the ground up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1