Swap AC and Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmanjeeper

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Good Evening!

I just ordered my crate motor and it has the serpentine system installed. The issue is, on my 86, the alternator is on the passenger side and the AC compressor is on the Driver side. On the new motor, they are opposite.

What do I do? I know the AC hoses should be good, but may be too long, maybe I can get shorter ones? BUt the bigger issue is the wiring.

I need to get the wiring for the alternator over to the other side, and the same for the AC compressor.

ANy ideas?

1986 C10 LWB, 383 stroker, locked rear

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
-maybe source a later model and buy a complete accessory system.

Like from a gmt800 or vortex..? Whatever junk they got in a salvage yard with same side b.s. u got.
Buy it ALL and sort it out on the stand! :headbang:

Sadly :( you havent provided enough detail to warrant a more specific reply...nevertheless-
Good luck!

-NEXT!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just get a manifold AC line for an '89 K5 or Suburban.

If you pull the wires out of the loom, you may find that they are long enough to go to their new location. Then just wrap with new tape and split-loom. You will need a harness adapter for the alternator, so that will gain you some length too.

jmanjeeper

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The new motor has everything new. Ac, alt, power steering...water pump. Just the ac and alt are swapped on the new system compared to my current system. Not sure what other information i can give lol.

jmanjeeper

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just get a manifold AC line for an '89 K5 or Suburban.

If you pull the wires out of the loom, you may find that they are long enough to go to their new location. Then just wrap with new tape and split-loom. You will need a harness adapter for the alternator, so that will gain you some length too.
Thanks! I’ll take a look at the wiring and new ac lines!

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
This is a common swap from v belt to serpentine. As @bucket said, get the AC hose from a 89 90 burn or k5. If you go burb, it will need to be single AC only. Not rear air. For the alternator if it uses the same style as the serpentine of the 89 or 90 ot needs the 2 to 4 wire adaptor.
I used AC delco PT2145.
Also keep in mind the fan will turn in the opposite direction as the v belt. You will need a different fan.

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
Figure out how much more length you need. Splice that length of wire in the middle of the wire. Use the same size wire as the wire you are lengthening. Solder them together and heat shrink the joint.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Good time for an electric fan if he doesnt want to mess with clutch fans. I have a direct drive fan, so really anything is ahead of me.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You should check the model of the alternator. The 10si (your original) or 12si (a little newer), have a large gauge red charge wire on the BAT terminal and a 2nd two-wire plug, and that design is stock for your truck. However, they may be using one with a newer CS130 four-wire plug. If needed, you can get off-the-shelf adapters to convert your wiring to the newer plug.

If you extend the wiring I suggest pulling the complete alternator pigtail and wire from a newer truck with the alternator on the driver's side. The wire you buy at the parts store is fine for under the dash, but for under the hood you need OEM quality wire with cross-linked insulation that has a higher temperature rating.

On the newer GMT400 trucks they sometimes run the charge wire up from the starter to a multi-post wire junction block on the firewall on the passenger side. From there the charge wire runs over to the alternator. I like this setup because that wire junction gives you 3-4 additional posts to add battery-powered accessories. If you pull both the junction block and wires it will have fusible links where the wires connect to the block.

Bruce

jmanjeeper

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Upon closer inspection, it isn't as I thought. The Alternator is still on the passenger side, but the AC is moved onto the passenger side as well. So I only need to get the K5 AC Hoses. I am asking them which plug the Alternator has to I can check mine. I have a 140amp currently...and the new one is also 140amp...so we shall see.

I need to check on the water pump rotation. This one has a Long Style Water Pump, I am not certain what I currently have. My current motor is not stock. It is a 69 Block stroked to a 383 and was built in Florida, before I bought the truck. How can I quickly ID what I have? The salesman is telling me that most just drop this in and do not need to replace the fan...but he is the salesman, and there are a plethora of vehicles this motor can be dropped in...so I want to ask the square pros.

Thank you all for the input! I am trying to prep everything so when the engine shows up, I install and run!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was under the assumption that the serpentine setup was a GM setup, but those put the ALT and AC on opposite sides. I don't know what type you have installed on your crate engine.

jmanjeeper

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is the motor. I need to call the tech guy tomorrow, the salesman said the fan should be fine. But I want to make sure.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This is the motor. I need to call the tech guy tomorrow, the salesman said the fan should be fine. But I want to make sure.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's a stock type alternator for an '86, so you are good there. The compressor looks like a Sanden unit. You will probably need a custom AC manifold hose assembly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Btw, that's an interesting accessory arrangement that I've not seen before. I like it.

jmanjeeper

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Btw, that's an interesting accessory arrangement that I've not seen before. I like it.
I’ll call tomorrow and ask for model numbers. It’s all from blueprint. Couldn’t beat the price and warranty. They take care of military!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68