Suburban Rear Tail Pan Replacement Talk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Your rear body mounts are shot too...

I keep mine sprayed off back there, I think that collection of mud and grass is what helps these things rot out. It retains any moisture and gives the road salt a home in the winter.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Your rear body mounts are shot too...

I keep mine sprayed off back there, I think that collection of mud and grass is what helps these things rot out. It retains any moisture and gives the road salt a home in the winter.

That mud and grass is new, I got stuck in the field behint my crib in a mud hole with the boat hooked up.

The road salt in the winter time here is the killer.

There is no way to mod this from scrap, I have to buy the correct piece to match the door jambs and ****. :Jedi:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'll be damned, Summit is the cheapest for this part, including shipping. :wtf:

Goodmark Part #4174-790-734
73-91 Suburban Complete Tailpan Crossmember Assembly w/shipping.

Summit:

$169.94

Top Banana restoration Parts:

$190.54

LMC Truck:

$217.70

Raybuck:

$223

Classic Discount Truck Parts:

$225.54

skitso

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Tailpan replace

I used a 1/4" thick 3" square steel tube fits perfect! Cut holes in it all across the front (cuz I could) to lighten it up an access for hinges. Cut it in 1/2 so I didn't have to raise the body to get it in and bolted it together on 3 sides. Welded a plate on each end to attach to the body. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/images/smilies/grd.gif

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I used a 1/4" thick 3" square steel tube fits perfect! Cut holes in it all across the front (cuz I could) to lighten it up an access for hinges. Cut it in 1/2 so I didn't have to raise the body to get it in and bolted it together on 3 sides. Welded a plate on each end to attach to the body. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/images/smilies/grd.gif

I don't see how that can be done with the barn doors on the back. It is molded to the shape of the bottom of the doors and door latches.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Being a tailgate guy, I'd love to see pics of that!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'll be damned, Summit is the cheapest for this part, including shipping. :wtf:

Goodmark Part #4174-790-734
73-91 Suburban Complete Tailpan Crossmember Assembly w/shipping.

Summit:

$169.94

Top Banana restoration Parts:

$190.54

LMC Truck:

$217.70

Raybuck:

$223

Classic Discount Truck Parts:

$225.54
I just got ****** BY SUMMIT. :flipthebird: :flipthebird:

I had a feeling it was going to happen too, god damn bastards. :flipthebird:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Fukin told me I would have the part by the end of November, now it's next year, drop dead..... :flipthebird:

And they didn't even tell me it would be pushed off, I went in to check and saw it, bastards didn't even email me or call or nothing, but they can take your money fast as ****. :flipthebird:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I ordered the part from Top Banana, should arrive here today. Over the weekend I started working on PB Blasting and loosening fasteners on the Burb's tail pan and rear bumper. I got a few bolts that are stripped and don't want to come out, they just spin.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:popcorn:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I ordered the part from Top Banana, should arrive here today. Over the weekend I started working on PB Blasting and loosening fasteners on the Burb's tail pan and rear bumper. I got a few bolts that are stripped and don't want to come out, they just spin.

I was looking at mine the other day, just to see what might be involved. It looks like it would be an easy job IF those bolts come out. Which bolts are spinning? It looked like the few 1/2 inch bolts inside each corner would be a PITA to remove.

I've been spraying everything with PB for some time now, hopefully stuff will come apart. I have to remove the hitch (rusted, I don't trust it anymore), remove the bumper (to install quarter panel patches), and replace the tailgate. I really hope those hinge bolts come out without breaking.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I was looking at mine the other day, just to see what might be involved. It looks like it would be an easy job IF those bolts come out. Which bolts are spinning? It looked like the few 1/2 inch bolts inside each corner would be a PITA to remove.

I've been spraying everything with PB for some time now, hopefully stuff will come apart. I have to remove the hitch (rusted, I don't trust it anymore), remove the bumper (to install quarter panel patches), and replace the tailgate. I really hope those hinge bolts come out without breaking.
The outboard screws from center are spinning because there is no any more metal left, it's all rotted out. The floor board bolts between the frame rails are kosher. I still have to baby the body mount bolts apart. The lower bumper bolts are sticky on the threads, the uppers are coming right off. I just came home from a boat ride and I saw the big box with the new part laying next to the garage door, I stuck it in the garage and will look at the new part later to figure out how many new bolts I will need.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size