Suburban Build For Camping/Hunting/Fishing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Hello and welcome!
Do you mind sending me a Pm?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Overland Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
It has been some time but I FINALLY got the Oportunity to get underway with my Suburban Build. So far we did the reverse shackle flip, fixed the 350 and now it runs like a top, put in the 1 ton running gear with 4:56 gears and Lockers front and year, rebuilt the 700R4. Gearing seems absolutely perfect with the 4:56s. Now that I'm started and running it shouldn't be long before it gets some paint, interior care, roof racks, and I will custom build bumpers. Thanks everyone and I hope life has been treating y'all well

You must be registered for see images attach

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Got any overland adventures planned?

Overland gets used so much. It's like the cool thing now. I trail, and camp on some trails. I still consider it camping. Lol

Just curious.

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
It has been some time but I FINALLY got the Oportunity to get underway with my Suburban Build. So far we did the reverse shackle flip, fixed the 350 and now it runs like a top, put in the 1 ton running gear with 4:56 gears and Lockers front and year, rebuilt the 700R4. Gearing seems absolutely perfect with the 4:56s. Now that I'm started and running it shouldn't be long before it gets some paint, interior care, roof racks, and I will custom build bumpers. Thanks everyone and I hope life has been treating y'all well

Looks good but looks like the rear should be farther back

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Looks good but looks like the rear should be farther back

That's stock. Pushing it up in the well forces it back.

That's why I am going to cut back there, and use my zero rate to shove it back 1.5". Gonna be a hell of a wheelbase rig counting my front forward 1.5".

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Then it must be done in a WILLYS OVERLAND

I would really like to do the trip in this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

^This because of my love for the SUV^

This would be my more realistic choice in Australia.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Overland Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Got any overland adventures planned?

Overland gets used so much. It's like the cool thing now. I trail, and camp on some trails. I still consider it camping. Lol

Just curious.

I'm planning on Colorado, Montana, California this coming year. If you have any good recommendations I'm all ears! I'm set up for camping big-time so camping ventures suit me the best for sure

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm planning on Colorado, Montana, California this coming year. If you have any good recommendations I'm all ears! I'm set up for camping big-time so camping ventures suit me the best for sure

Be awesome im sure. My only point is about the only American soil you can truly overland on is in Alaska.

The rest is a trip, and camping.

My opinion only.

Do recommend a look at Arkansas, and Disney Oklahoma.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Nice truck Tracy. What kind of locker do you have on the front diff?
I also want to warn you about your tires front rubbing... if you have lockers all around I would venture you are up to actually using this rig and twisting it
up WILL meet rubber to metal. My advice, especially since you want to build bumpers, is move your front axle forward and inch and trim off the bottom of the 'fang' on the fender.
Have you or will you 'long travel' the front suspension? Disconnect the anti-sway bar and run longer shocks...
And then comes longer driveshafts and run a CV off the transfer case to the rear driveshaft, with a sturdy slip joint. If your still running the slipjoint off the TC you will see drama eventually.

Overland Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Nice truck Tracy. What kind of locker do you have on the front diff?
I also want to warn you about your tires front rubbing... if you have lockers all around I would venture you are up to actually using this rig and twisting it
up WILL meet rubber to metal. My advice, especially since you want to build bumpers, is move your front axle forward and inch and trim off the bottom of the 'fang' on the fender.
Have you or will you 'long travel' the front suspension? Disconnect the anti-sway bar and run longer shocks...
And then comes longer driveshafts and run a CV off the transfer case to the rear driveshaft, with a sturdy slip joint. If your still running the slipjoint off the TC you will see drama eventually.

Shiftpro,

It has Detroit locker in the front and a Lockrite in the rear. I haven't long traveled the front yet but thinking of going with 52" springs and moving the axle forward as you mentioned. Does this sound like the right direction to go? I am running the slip joint off the TC right now thank you for the tip on switching over to a CV. I'm looking at converting to a 5 speed Manuel and already have the tranny, clutch pedals, and bell housing that came out of a 1/2 ton chevy. Its not the NV 4500 but when I looked it up it did say they used the tranny in light 3/4 tons. I'm not a smash and heavy throttle kind of operator and prefer finesse to get there so I think I'll be fine on that one but have never tried the combo so not 100% sure. Thanks for all the tips friend

Overland Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Arkansas V8,

Thanks for the recommendations. I 'll have to look up and better clarify for myself better what the definition of overland is as well Lol

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Shiftpro,

It has Detroit locker in the front and a Lockrite in the rear. I haven't long traveled the front yet but thinking of going with 52" springs and moving the axle forward as you mentioned. Does this sound like the right direction to go? I am running the slip joint off the TC right now thank you for the tip on switching over to a CV. I'm looking at converting to a 5 speed Manuel and already have the tranny, clutch pedals, and bell housing that came out of a 1/2 ton chevy. Its not the NV 4500 but when I looked it up it did say they used the tranny in light 3/4 tons. I'm not a smash and heavy throttle kind of operator and prefer finesse to get there so I think I'll be fine on that one but have never tried the combo so not 100% sure. Thanks for all the tips friend
Very cool.
Good to be a finesse driver, gets ya home. The next concern is your front diff. You haven't mentioned it so I'm safe to guess it's the original 10 bolt.... with a locker... hmm.. and what size tires again?
Locker on the front end makes breaking axles just as easy as farting after fish tacos. As you turn your steering it opens the knuckle and every .5 degree it gets weaker. Ultimate worse case is backing out of a stuck. All the weight and traction on the front end, and the tire with the most traction will get full torque and you will hear a snap. Even though deep in your heart you know what the snap was, you will be in denial for a while. Gee I wonder what that snap was? A stick in my leaf spring? Oh I can only hope...

Something to think about... if you have yet to gear down and buy the locker I would say hold off and find a D60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08