Suburban Build For Camping/Hunting/Fishing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overland Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and also new to square body chevy's though I have been doing as much research as possible to prepare for an upcoming build.

Here's what I have so far! I just picked up a rust free 89 suburban that I want to go through and make a nice everyday driver will some goodies to get off the beaten path. The Suburban is 1/2 ton with I think a 6" lift and 35's with a 5.7 tbi that has low compression on two cylinders , 700r4 NP241 with SYE

I also have a 73 blazer I picked up several years ago only problem is it's rusted far beyond repair! The good news however is the Blazer has a older I think early 80s crate 350 4 barrel with about 10,000 miles runs like a top, SM465 NP205 10 spline, 14 bolt ff rear with a lockrite, Dana 44 front with Detroit locker! 4:56 gears in both front @ rear

I originally intended to find a clean blazer and build it useing my parts blazer however when I came across the 89 suburban straight, clean, and NO rust I couldn't turn it down!

These are my thoughts so far but I would like some input from the experts because as I said I'm pretty new to square bodies though I can say I think I'm hooked for life

For sure the 3/4 ton axles already equipped with lockers and 4:56 gears with 35's are going in the suburban.

My delima's are do I drop in the old school 350 4 barrel engine or do I pick up another 350 tbi engine for the sake of making sure everything will bolt back up with no hassles. I'm considering a new crate directly from GM

Also do I stick with the 700r4 NP241 with SYE.....or........do I swap in the SM465 NP205 and make it a stick shift. If I stick with the 700r4 I'd probably run it for a bit and order a 700 R4 monster tranny to replace it! I'm leaning toward sticking with the Automatic but have heard both good and bad things about the 700R4

Thank you fellas in advance

Last edited:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome to another Suburban guy!:D

Got pics ?

Wonder if the old school block would work with the TBI intake and heads ?

Someone here will know for sure.

Best of luck !

Britt

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
i'm looking for the right priced Suburban for hunting. An idea that came up while discussing at work was one of those slide out platforms you'd put on the bed of a truck. I then added the idea of an internally mounted hoist that would swing out of the barn doors to help hoist deer up. Another would be a winch inside in case I get drawn for Elk lol.

Overland Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
i'm looking for the right pricedSuburban for hunting. An idea that came up while discussing at work was one of those slide out platforms you'd put on the bed of a truck. I then added the idea of an internally mounted hoist that would swing out of the barn doors to help hoist deer up. Another would be a winch inside in case I get drawn for Elk lol.

Personally I'm going to build a game rack that slides into my receiver hitch. The burb will also get homemade bumpers and a winch set up to drag critters up steep embankments :hunter:

I wish you well on finding yourself a Suburban:favorites13:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wow, it'd be a shame to pull apart a full vert '73 K5.

I'd probably wait until the 700r4 dies, then swap in the engine/trans/t-case all at the same time, along with an aftermarket TBI intake. Or just a TBI adapter plate. I'd also update to the hydraulic clutch at the same time.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That Blazer ain't that bad. (Unless you can see thru the floorboard).

For my money, I like @bucket advice.

And welcome to GMSB!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, I just read about the low compression. If it's bad enough that the engine is a slug, I'd swap the whole shebang and be done with it.

Overland Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
That Blazer ain't that bad. (Unless you can see thru the floorboard).

For my money, I like @bucket advice.

And welcome to GMSB!

You can see through the floor to the point I think the seats are going to fall right through....its a crying shame . :shrug:

The body also looks better in a picture, it's filled with bondo from the previous owner. Body mount areas are also rusted to the point a big bump and things are going to move

Overland Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Wow, it'd be a shame to pull apart a full vert '73 K5.

I'd probably wait until the 700r4 dies, then swap in the engine/trans/t-case all at the same time, along with an aftermarket TBI intake. Or just a TBI adapter plate. I'd also update to the hydraulic clutch at the same time.

Bucket,

The picture doesn't begin to show the rust! Both front seats are ready to drop through the floor. Body mount areas are hanging by a thread, Around the front window has holes big enouph you can see lots of daylight, tailgate is rusted through, body has about 200 lbs of bondo!

For hydrolic clutch I'm leaning toward a Novac hydrolic kit....or.....get a factory hydro bell housing and go with factory stuff. Which would you recommend? My SM465 is the older 10 spline

I had thought about the tbi intake for the carb engine idea. Would I need to have my computer reprogrammed? Will the distributer from the tbi engine fit the older 350 or is there a different distributor I would need? I was thinking the edelbrock tbi intake?

Thank you for your time and input it is much appreciated

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, I understand the rust issue... But it's still a shame, lol.

The clutch setup is all up to you. The mechanical linkage works fine, but I think the hydro setup is just much easier from a swap standpoint. And there's less wear items. I don't remember much about the novac kit, but I remember considering it at one point. I've yet to do the swap on either truck though, so I've just worked on aquiring the factory parts when decent deals come along. Factory hydro stuff can be expensive these days.

If the engine is mild with a very mild cam, the TBI tune should work. But as always, a custom tune is never a bad idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey