Suburban back seat removable head rest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am about to start taking a stock suburban rear seat apart to see if it can be fitted with a removable headrest. Wondering if anybody had much luck with that?
Also would like to get a seat with a taller back for the front if anybody has some ideas.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Depends how the seat frame was made. Most of the removable head rests I delt with at a dealer were 2 pieces of roughly 1 x 1 chanel welded to the framework. Then they use a couple of plastic inserts that slide in after you put the cover back on. Slide the headrest in after that. As long as you have a couple of cross braces to weld to, it shouldn't be too hard.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Depends how the seat frame was made. Most of the removable head rests I delt with at a dealer were 2 pieces of roughly 1 x 1 chanel welded to the framework. Then they use a couple of plastic inserts that slide in after you put the cover back on. Slide the headrest in after that. As long as you have a couple of cross braces to weld to, it shouldn't be too hard.

That is what I was imagining. Hardest part at the moment is finding a decently matching headrest to use. I have a spare back seat to practice mock up on, just got to find some headrests to use first

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I was wondering if you already had a set or not. My experience came from working at a Honda dealer. With those seats, you had to pull the cover off the back of the seat to release the the plastic inserts. Not to difficult, but I have no idea on how other manufacturers did there design. Hopefully it's similar.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Moving ahead on this. Ordered a set of headrests from a 4runner and a set of head rest guides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes