Stupid valve cover gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
So I'm getting pretty frustrated with a leak from my passenger side valve covers. I picked up a Fel Pro Permadry gasket set and put it on this morning hoping to stop this f'ing leak. Get everything on and snugged down, drive to work, and it's still coming out the lower back corner. A pretty good amount I might add.

It's my understanding that you can't over tighten these gaskets, but I don't want to hammer it down either. The surface on my heads is clean and smooth from what I can tell.

Do I just need to tighten them down more. I didn't use any silicone either. Should I?

Oil leaks suck ass.

Brandon

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Have you checked that your valve cover is straight? Also make sure it hasn't been over tightened by a previous owner. Check to be sure the area around the bolt holes are flat. if their not they need to be flat and not pushed in towards the gasket.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Have you checked that your valve cover is straight? Also make sure it hasn't been over tightened by a previous owner. Check to be sure the area around the bolt holes are flat. if their not they need to be flat and not pushed in towards the gasket.

Yup, valve covers are new and I made sure not to tighten too much. I also have the Fel Pro spreaders installed. I double checked that the head surface was smooth as well. I guess I'll have to check again.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Yup, valve covers are new and I made sure not to tighten too much. I also have the Fel Pro spreaders installed. I double checked that the head surface was smooth as well. I guess I'll have to check again.

Seems odd but are you sure the path is the valve cover? Seems to me I recall sometime ago having an issue with an oil leak that ended up being from a bolt hole. That memory is very fuzzy and may not be applicable but it's a shot. Can you visually see the source of the leak? With a mirror on a stick?

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Seems odd but are you sure the path is the valve cover? Seems to me I recall sometime ago having an issue with an oil leak that ended up being from a bolt hole. That memory is very fuzzy and may not be applicable but it's a shot. Can you visually see the source of the leak? With a mirror on a stick?

Confirmed and verified that it's coming from the lower back corner of the passenger side valve cover. Checked with a mirror. Hmmmmm.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Confirmed and verified that it's coming from the lower back corner of the passenger side valve cover. Checked with a mirror. Hmmmmm.

Bummer! Ok, just because hey are new..... Did you check for sure if they are flat? That that corner isn't out of spec?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are they cheap chrome valve covers?

I've had very good luck with the Mr Gasket UltraSeal gaskets too. They are a thick cork casket with a thin rubberized coating of some sort. They work well and can often be reused also.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used fel pro blue valve cover gaskets and I'm using a set of $25 "chrome" valve covers.

You need to make 100% sure that both surfaces are clean and NOT smooth. I took some 220 grit sandpaper to the inner lip of the valve covers and made sure both surfaces were spotless with acetone.

And then used t-bars and spread bars and I have zero leaks.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Best gaskets I ever used were blue silicone.

Just say "no" to cork.

Sounds like you are over-tightening them, that torque spec is 10 in/lbs? 7 ft/lbs.?
Not much!

Flip the cover around and see what happens....switch sides , run an old one...whatever your options are.

Good luck big poser!

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I didn't use any silicone either. Should I?

If your problem persists after doing all the suggestions from everyone else, throw the gaskets away and use RVT. My truck hasn't had valve cover gaskets in over 20 years at least, and never leaks a drop!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If your problem persists after doing all the suggestions from everyone else, throw the gaskets away and use RVT. My truck hasn't had valve cover gaskets in over 20 years at least, and never leaks a drop!

I agree! If you clean everything really well. Apply a really good bead on the covers, set them on, start the bolts but don't tighten them and leave it sit over night to set up. The next morning just tighten them up by hand with a nut driver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising