Stuck parking brake on 82 c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Listo940

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Need help on what needs to be done on the parking brake. The pedal is up but the brake light stays on and I cannot move the truck. Where would I release the tension on the cable to get it to move.

greyghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
check back side hub first, f loose there, pull drum, spring adjuster nut frozen. or springs broken not releasing shoes, if thats it drum will be real bitch to remove, good luck, no fun

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
The parking brake pedal can release and go to the OFF position and yet the parking brake(s) may still be applied because of rusted up cables.

It happens all the time when the driver doesn't apply the parking brake when they park the vehicle --- every time and always.

They say "I'm not on a hill so I don't use my emergency brake".

That's just wrong --- and it's not an EMERGENCY BRAKE at all ---- it's a PARKING BRAKE and is to be used to park and not as an auxiliary brake in case the dual hydraulic system fails.

In situations where the driver refuses to use the parking brake --- after a few years of neglect and unuse the cables get rusted up and seize, not letting the rear shoes fully release.

New cables are available in most real parts stores .. but you can bet that the manufacturers love people who don't use their parking brakes!

FUN FACT: Emergency Brakes was just an advertising ploy in the days when mechanical rod-and-cable brakes were being phased out to install the new hydraulic systems --- which farmers and idiots didn't trust.
Calling them an: "Emergency Brake" infused new car buyers with satisfaction when they KNEW that the hydraulic systems were just a passing fad and would be back like 5-cent Cokes and real Twinkies.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I did not know that about the parking brake. I would still use it if my brakes went out!! Thanks.
I hope the OP gets his fixed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128