Stolen Squarebodies to be on the look out for.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Wow, you are one lucky dude! Hope it's all unharmed, runs/drives fine, etc.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, so here's the scoop on my truck. Apparently the guy ran it out of gas, and left parked at the side of the road. A police officer just happens to drive by and notices the horrible paint job. This prompts him to investigate further. Once he realizes the truck has been reported stolen, he then calls me at about 9 am.

I get up there and the guy they found walking up to the truck with 5 gallons of gas was gone. I approach the officers and they asked me for my name and then asked if this was my truck. I knew instantly it was mine even before I arrived. So, I'm checking it out and the guy had moved in. He had stuff in the bed (tools, planks of wood, etc) and he even added a carpet dash pad to hide the cracked one. The officer claims the guy already had registration papers and was waiting for the title from the car jacker. My plate was gone and a 60-day was put there instead.

So, while I am waiting for my folks to show up so I can get my truck and rental back home, I start poking around some more and found a stack of ripped mail under the passenger seat. Shortly after, the officer came back wanting to take the GPS unit left behind for evidence. I showed him what I found under the seat and he kinda got excited about finding more evidence. He tootles off and my folks show up.

Finally get home and I start unloading crap from the bed. I get a wild hair and looked under the bench seat again. I was flabbergasted as to what I found: a hand gun! I flicked it out to get a better visual and I thought it was a Glock; it turned out to be a Walther. Anyhoot, I call the police to come get it and of course they needed to write down everything that happened up to the point of finding the gun.

Anyways, I'm happy I got my ride back. Added "The Club" as security measure. It appears the driver side door was pryed open and the ignition drum assy was broken. I bought a new one today. I now have to get my title and keys back from my insurance on Monday and figure out how the Tag Office handles stolen tags.

All in all, the truck is virtually the same as the night it was stolen. Runs/drives the same.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn dude!!! Somebody watching over you man! Need any parts for her? What did they damage prying the door open? I notice on mine it looks like somebody tried to pry the pass side door open. I found the marks after I bought it and was going over her. I didn't think that was possible on these trucks? I wonder what the weak link was?

If you need any door parts let me know, I found a new donor truck at the Pull A Part today.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Pretty incredible.

Hey, riddle me this. How the F does someone in your state get registration started on a stolen vehicle?

Ferdwerd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
^ This confused me also.^
How does some scum bag get a plate for your stolen truck.!?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Pretty incredible.

Hey, riddle me this. How the F does someone in your state get registration started on a stolen vehicle?

The cop took a closer look at the 60 day temp tag and determined it was a fake. Usually in KS on a temp tag, the #'s are written on metallic squares with a perm. marker. This one was all typed up. So, I imagine the reg. papers were fake too. Speaking of reg. papers, they left mine in the glove box. No wfigure that one... I have a sneaky feeling the guy caught driving the truck was the one who stole it.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Damn dude!!! Somebody watching over you man! Need any parts for her? What did they damage prying the door open? I notice on mine it looks like somebody tried to pry the pass side door open. I found the marks after I bought it and was going over her. I didn't think that was possible on these trucks? I wonder what the weak link was?

If you need any door parts let me know, I found a new donor truck at the Pull A Part today.

The only damage I have noticed on the door is chipped paint and a rub mark on the door sill. Since the doors sag some, they don't always close good. May not have taken much to pop it open.

Really, the only thing I need to replace is the ignition drum assy as I can now turn the truck over w/o a key. Already have one bought, just need to get it in.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The cop took a closer look at the 60 day temp tag and determined it was a fake. Usually in KS on a temp tag, the #'s are written on metallic squares with a perm. marker. This one was all typed up. So, I imagine the reg. papers were fake too. Speaking of reg. papers, they left mine in the glove box. No wfigure that one... I have a sneaky feeling the guy caught driving the truck was the one who stole it.

Well, I may be incorrect about this.

It appears Kansas has done away with the cardboard tags. All new temp tags are now digital which looks like anyone could make on their own.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Really glad to hear you got your pickup back dude! You should have kept the handgun though, as long as it does not come back stolen. Maybe you could have used it to shoot the next ******** that tries to steal your truck :happy107:

I loaned my geo metro I drove in high school to a couple punk ass dudes at a party with the understanding they would be coming back soon with more pot for me. I told both those ********* that if I did not have my car back by the time I had to go to school it was going to be reported stolen. I woke up and the car was gone still, first thing I did was call the police. When I got it back I had more gasoline and a bottle of liquor in the back seat, I call it a win.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
So now that you have it back, are you going to order one of those steering column covers?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So now that you have it back, are you going to order one of those steering column covers?

Uncertain. My dad bought me The Club yesterday. I have it setup in such a way the steering wheel cannot be turned either direction. Hopefully it is enough of a deterent to keep thieves away.

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Glad to hear you got your truck back, my brother lives in wichita, had a nice set of superswampers on rims stolen from his fenced in back yard a few weeks ago

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Some people got some ******* gall boy, low life scum

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well this is a very happy ending to a stolen truck story! And you scored a dash cover too, lol.

Reminds me of a customer's '91 Chevy that he bought new. The cab corners rusted so we replaced them, shortly after the truck got t-boned and was nearly totaled by the insurance. We replaced the bed and a cab side. Then shortly after, the truck was wrecked again but this time in the front. Fed up with always having damage fixed, he parked it in his driveway for a while. Then it was stolen.

Nearly a year later the police recovered the truck. When he went to confirm it was his truck, he was stunned to find the thieves had fixed the body damage and repainted the whole truck, even in the original colors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8